Tag as favorite
Mage issue with Spells
Andre
#1 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 7:05:46 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I am a quite new Oubliette player. I am really enjoying it. I have a couple of questions:

- I created an Elf Mage, that is now level 14 and he can't cast level 5th and 6th spells:

Magic Spells 14, 11, 8, 5, 0, 0.

Why?

He has following stats:

STR 9
INT 34
WIS 15
LDR 19
COS 14
DEX 14

I believe he should be able to cast all the spells.

- I got a Ranger killed, he was level 14 and when my Priest revived it (KOMINALITO 6th level Spell), he lost 2 levels and he came back as a level 12. How is it possible? It was the Resurrection process or maybe a Monster (Permanent?) "Draining Levels" Blow?

- Is the Sage able to cast both Magic and Cleric Spells since the 1st Level? I am creating Sages that can only cast Magic Spells at the 1st level. Does it depends on the stats or what?

I have been searching on this forum and websites online guides (Snafaru's very usefull), but I could not find out these information. I am sorry if they are explained somewhere else, I could not find.

Andre
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 8:04:54 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Andre wrote:

- I created an Elf Mage, that is now level 14 and he can't cast level 5th and 6th spells:

Magic Spells 14, 11, 8, 5, 0, 0.

Why?

He has following stats:

STR 9
INT 34
WIS 15
LDR 19
COS 14
DEX 14

I believe he should be able to cast all the spells.

Mages get their highest level spells more slowly than priests. You need to continue to raise his level. Note that Elf mages gain levels very slowly. If you want something that will advance much more quickly, try a Kobold mage.

Andre wrote:
- I got a Ranger killed, he was level 14 and when my Priest revived it (KOMINALITO 6th level Spell), he lost 2 levels and he came back as a level 12. How is it possible? It was the Resurrection process or maybe a Monster (Permanent?) "Draining Levels" Blow?

You should not lose levels when you die. However there are monsters the permanently drain levels and it sounds like you found one of those. When you get that kind of monster you need to do something to take them out very quickly (preferably before they get to swing). The first thing I do when I face a monster like that is to crank the game speed down to the minimum so that I will have the opportunity to attack with several of my mages and priests.

Andre wrote:

- Is the Sage able to cast both Magic and Cleric Spells since the 1st Level? I am creating Sages that can only cast Magic Spells at the 1st level. Does it depends on the stats or what?

I believe that the Sage get spells past the 1st level, but I don't remember offhand when they start. I have actually never played a sage.

Andre
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:39:18 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

John, thanks for your prompt and nice answer.

If I understand it well, there is not a specific level at which mages get higher level spells, they get them randomly?

I decided to point on Samurais and Rangers now. I wonder if for Rangers Magic Spells is the same.
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:34:16 AM

Medals:

No, it is not random, but it does depend on the intelligence. I don't remember the exact formula off hand, but I do know that priests get their higher level spells earlier than mages. Note that rangers will take even longer since they do not begin to get spells at all until around level 7 I believe.
Hellion7776
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:00:47 PM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Quote:

From Snafaru's guide, It says that Sages start casting Magic spells at level 3. New player as well and I LOVE this game.

Hellion
Playing on a AT&T Samsung Infuse (SAMSUNG-SGH-I997) Firmware 2.2.1
(V 2.2g) Dwarf, Human, Gnoll, Hobbit and Elf Rangers all created
200 hours and loving every minute of it !!!
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:53:06 PM

Medals:

I believe that Sages start getting magic spells at level 1 and Priest spells at level 3.
Hellion7776
#7 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 4:49:05 PM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

John Gaby wrote:
I believe that Sages start getting magic spells at level 1 and Priest spells at level 3.

Absolutely right. I had them reversed. I just started a Sage myself and I'm spamming sleep and confusion trying to level up today. Thanks for setting me straight John.

Hellion
Playing on a AT&T Samsung Infuse (SAMSUNG-SGH-I997) Firmware 2.2.1
(V 2.2g) Dwarf, Human, Gnoll, Hobbit and Elf Rangers all created
200 hours and loving every minute of it !!!