Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Questions not covered in the FAQ
dtilley24
#1 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 1:20:24 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Don't know who will be responding to this but there are a few items not covered by the FAQ that i would love to have answered.

Played the game for a bit and it is very reminiscent of the old Wizadry games which i just love. on to the questions

1. is there a way to determine how much experience you are receiving per battle and how close you are yo increasing in level?

2. is there a level cap?

3. Is there a way to sell equipment back to the shop?

4. What determines the initial hit points? Is it a randomly generated stat or is it somehow linked to starting CON

5. What was the rational for having just the first two fighters attack? With the large number of enemies that attack you it seems a little imbalanced.

6. Are the only people gaining experience after a battle those that attacked or killed an enemy? or does the whole party gain experience.

7. Last question. What is with the money system in the game. Is it divided between the party members? Is seems to fluctuate at times for no apparent reason. when i downloaded the app i had over 8000 gold to start and now, because i am trying to grind and chests are very infrequent, gold is at a premium.

is there some other way to make money that i am unaware of.

Thanks
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 2:34:46 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
dtilley24 wrote:

1. is there a way to determine how much experience you are receiving per battle and how close you are yo increasing in level?

The leveling mechanism works differently than other games of this type that you may have played. There is no experience counter. Every time that you kill a monster or take damage, you have a probability of making a level. In the version you are playing now, this probability depends on 3 things, your race, class and the difference between your level and the monster you are fighting.

After we submitted the application, we decided to make it also depend on the level of the dungeon that you are on. We are doing this to encourage players to go down to deeper levels by making it more rewarding.

dtilley24 wrote:

2. is there a level cap?

No, but there is a hit point cap of 999.

dtilley24 wrote:

3. Is there a way to sell equipment back to the shop?

No, but we have gotten several request for that, and may consider it.

dtilley24 wrote:

4. What determines the initial hit points? Is it a randomly generated stat or is it somehow linked to starting CON

There is a random element, but it does depend on both your CON and your class. When you join a guild (choose your class), you get a hit point bonus (or decrement) depending on the class you choose.

Every time you make level, you also gain hits, and the amount also depends on your CON and your class, plus a random element.

dtilley24 wrote:

5. What was the rational for having just the first two fighters attack? With the large number of enemies that attack you it seems a little imbalanced.

Well, it is even. Only the first two monsters can attack (via melee) also. If we were to let all the players and all the monsters attack, your party would become overwhelmed pretty easily.

dtilley24 wrote:

6. Are the only people gaining experience after a battle those that attacked or killed an enemy? or does the whole party gain experience.

You must attack or be attacked to gain experience. The only exception to this is that Thieves, Ninja, and Samurai can get experience from disarming chests. Note that Mages and Priests can attack from the rear. We have considered giving experience the Priests for healing, but they seem to be able to do alright without that.

dtilley24 wrote:

7. Last question. What is with the money system in the game. Is it divided between the party members? Is seems to fluctuate at times for no apparent reason. when i downloaded the app i had over 8000 gold to start and now, because i am trying to grind and chests are very infrequent, gold is at a premium.

is there some other way to make money that i am unaware of.

In this version, each player has his own money. However, we decided that it was to inconvenient to have to pass money back and forth in order to rest and purchase things. So when you are in the Inn, for example, all of the money owned by the party is shared. However money held by players not in the party is not.

This has turned out to be a problem, however, and in the next version, there will simply be one pot of money for the entire game which is shared by all.

As for making money, we realize that money at the beginning of the game is quite tight. However, once you start going to the deeper levels, you will be rolling in it.

The way to conserve money at the start is to uses the cheaper inns to rest. Also, try and make as long a dungeon trip as possible so that you can find enough treasure to cover your expenses. Note that when you get only gold and silver, you don't get much, but you can also find gems and jewels which can give you thousands from a single box.

Perhaps letting players sell items would help with the money situation, and we are considering it.

dtilley24
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:27:52 PM

Medals:

Thanks for the response. A few more follow up questions.

1. Was it always your intention to have the time pass by in months when you rest at the inn. I am finding that i am having to make the majority of my characters elves just to keep them from losing stats due to old age. If this were changed to weeks it would make things a lot easier and allow for time to build the characters before progressing into the deep. With the shortfall of gold early on, characters are forced to use the free option at the inn, thereby aging characters prematurely.

2. What is the purpose of companions?

3. Does the item shop eventually sell more than just basic gear?

4. What are the stat criteria for the ranger? Is it limited to only certain races?

5. Is the elf race actually immortal or do they eventually suffer the age penalty the other races encounter?

To further comment on some of your reply from above:

With respect to the first two characters being the attackers, i find that this is great for having your two tank characters attack and level, but makes it extremely difficult to level new characters or characters with low hit as they are constantly dying(and the cost of resurrection is extremely high early on) when you place them in the upper two slots. Even if the character in the third slot only delt/recieved half damage it would be more useful.

The pooling of the money would be useful as it is a real pain trying to figure who has the money especially when characters die. If the ability to sell loot is introduced, would you reduce the amounts recieved from jewels?

My last comment is about the aging in the game and how rapidly it occurs. Provided that characters attain their guild the first time around, by the time they are level 7 or 8 their age is getting up there due to the time taken to heal at the inn(can't afford any other options), increase levels or relearn spells. Perhaps a rest option could be implemented so while in the dungeon you could relearn spells or heal with a reduced time penality but with the possibility of being attacked.

Thanks,
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:08:11 PM

Medals:

dtilley24 wrote:

1. Was it always your intention to have the time pass by in months when you rest at the inn. I am finding that i am having to make the majority of my characters elves just to keep them from losing stats due to old age. If this were changed to weeks it would make things a lot easier and allow for time to build the characters before progressing into the deep. With the shortfall of gold early on, characters are forced to use the free option at the inn, thereby aging characters prematurely.

We want aging to be a significant factor in the game. Even with 1 month per rest, it is actually pretty easy to get to high levels without aging too much, and here is how you do it.

As you noticed, money is pretty tight at the beginning, but once you get to the deeper levels you will find that it is no longer a problem. So at the beginning of the game you want to build up a pretty generic party high enough so that you can go down to level 3 or 4. Using the starting party is not a bad idea. You should not worry about resting too much (but do not rest in the streets), because these first characters are pretty much expendable.

Once you have a good supply of gold, you should then start creating your second generation characters. These should be Rangers, Paladins, Samurai, and possibly Ninja. Starting all of these characters is somewhat tough, but if you use your established party as support, it is not that hard. Never rest these new characters to get hits, always heal them before returning to the Castle, and always rest in the Pleasure Palace.

You will find that if you do this, then your second generation characters can reach high level without aging excessively. Also note that some races level faster than others. Kobolds are one of the best (and they have a decent life span), and Elves are by far the worst.

dtilley24 wrote:

2. What is the purpose of companions?

Companions will fight for you. If they only have melee attacks, then they can only attack if they are with the first 2 players. If they are spell throwers, they can attack from any position in the party. Also, if first two players have companions, then the companions will absorb some of the melee damage from the monsters.

Since the first two players are often fighters, they cannot charm or hold companions. However, mages can summon monsters, and if the monsters that are summoned only have melee attack, the monsters will be attached to one of the first two players in the party.

dtilley24 wrote:

3. Does the item shop eventually sell more than just basic gear?
;

We are actually considering having it sell magical items. As it stands now, once you get to the lower level, gold becomes pretty useless. It would be nice to give it some value by having high level items available in the shop.

dtilley24 wrote:

4. What are the stat criteria for the ranger? Is it limited to only certain races?

Only Humans can be rangers. The requirements are: STR: 12, INT: 14, WIS: 14, LDR: 14, CON: 15 and DEX:12. They are hard to roll, but they get the best hit bonus in the game, and get both magic and priest spells at higher levels. They can only wear leather, however, and are a little tough to get started.

dtilley24 wrote:

5. Is the elf race actually immortal or do they eventually suffer the age penalty the other races encounter?

No, they are immortal if they are not killed, and never suffer any penalty from resting. You can rest Elves in the streets without any ill effects. To offset this, they make levels very slowly.

dtilley24 wrote:

With respect to the first two characters being the attackers, i find that this is great for having your two tank characters attack and level, but makes it extremely difficult to level new characters or characters with low hit as they are constantly dying(and the cost of resurrection is extremely high early on) when you place them in the upper two slots. Even if the character in the third slot only delt/recieved half damage it would be more useful.

Yes, it is difficult (especially for classes such as Rangers and Samurai who cannot wear decent armor). However, it is possible. You need a Mage as support. Then go down and any monsters that can kill your character in 1 blow, you use your Mage's Narpic (darkness) to end the encounter. Otherwise you let your guy fight (I like to have him fight alone, and just use a support fighter to help absorb damage). After he starts fighting, bring up the Mage's Narpic spell, but do not cast it. If he gets hit, then immediately cast the Narpic, to end the battle. Then heal and repeat. If he gets killed, you can use the Temporal chamber to ensure that he makes raise.

dtilley24 wrote:

The pooling of the money would be useful as it is a real pain trying to figure who has the money especially when characters die. If the ability to sell loot is introduced, would you reduce the amounts recieved from jewels?

You are absolutely correct, and the next version will have that.

dtilley24 wrote:

My last comment is about the aging in the game and how rapidly it occurs. Provided that characters attain their guild the first time around, by the time they are level 7 or 8 their age is getting up there due to the time taken to heal at the inn(can't afford any other options), increase levels or relearn spells. Perhaps a rest option could be implemented so while in the dungeon you could relearn spells or heal with a reduced time penality but with the possibility of being attacked.

Note that there ARE magic items that restore spells while you are in the dungeon. Also, try and never heal by resting. Use your Priest's remaining heal spells to heal everyone before you return to the castle. You may find that you need more than just a couple of Priests to have enough healing power for extended trips.
Morkani
#5 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 9:28:29 AM

Medals:

I've got a few more questions...

Does a theif's level affect his chance to detect a trap?
Can a theif level from detecting a trap or just from disarming?
Will an exploding box do more damage the further down you go?
Some items have a description of (for instance ) cleric 2 restore... Does this mean it restores all priest spells up to level 2?
do the level 1 priest/mage spells get stronger as the priest/mage gets higher in levels?

Thanx :)
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 11:19:23 AM

Medals:

Morkani wrote:
Does a theif's level affect his chance to detect a trap?

Yes, and the difficulty of the trap increases as you go deeper into the dungeon. Note that Samurai and Ninjas can detect and disarm traps, but a Thief is better at it.

Morkani wrote:
Can a theif level from detecting a trap or just from disarming?

No, but perhaps they should. It is pretty hard to level a Thief from opening boxes alone.

Morkani wrote:

Will an exploding box do more damage the further down you go?

No it hits everyone the same, and the deeper you are in the dungeon the more dangerous the exploding box is. On the lowest levels you may want to have your Priest use his spell.

Morkani wrote:

Some items have a description of (for instance ) cleric 2 restore... Does this mean it restores all priest spells up to level 2?

Yes, however there is a bug in the current version and the cleric 2 and cleric 4 restores will restore all the Priest spells. This will be fixed in the next version, so enjoy it while you can.

Morkani wrote:

do the level 1 priest/mage spells get stronger as the priest/mage gets higher in levels?

Both the Mage's Magic Missile, and the Cleric's Light Wound spells do increase in power with level. The Mage's spell increases in power faster, however. The healing spells do not increase with level.