Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
one question
BukarooBanzai
#1 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 1:38:01 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi, i super love this game and quite new to oubliette but a huge fan of wizardry & old dungeon crawlers or roguelike game but ... does anyone know a way to lvl up a priest, with his few hits points he's not able to stand and survive in front of the team and with only his light heal spell it seems that he cannot gain any level when he s placed behind .... sorry for my english, i m french :)
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 6:55:38 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It IS possible to put him up to fight, but I never have to do that. At low levels, the spell to use is the level 2 'Hold Person'. Since you only have one of those at the start, you need to wait until you have a fairly large group of level 3-4 mobs (Hold Person can capture up to 4 mobs). Also, if you wait and hold monsters that can cast spells, then those monsters will fight for your priest and your priest will get the experience for anything they do. Once he gets level 4 spells, the spell of choice is 'Rods' which can be devastating at higher levels.
BukarooBanzai
#3 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 8:42:41 AM

Medals:

thanks a lot for your quick answer ... going to create a kobold one instead of my elf, to see how this works and make some tests, it should be quicker
Cowboy
#4 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:31:09 AM

Medals:

Once I got my first decent 2 swing weapon with some armour enhancement I found it straight forward to get the first 3 or 4 levels on my casters, just be ready to push them to the back at short notice while running at extremely slow speed. Also ensure the other melee character has some serious muscle by that stage, and stick close to the stairs
John Gaby
#5 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:37:31 AM

Medals:

BukarooBanzai wrote:
thanks a lot for your quick answer ... going to create a kobold one instead of my elf, to see how this works and make some tests, it should be quicker

Kobolds are great! I have a party consisting entirely of Kobolds. Gotta love how fast they make levels.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:40:02 AM

Medals:

Cowboy wrote:
Once I got my first decent 2 swing weapon with some armour enhancement I found it straight forward to get the first 3 or 4 levels on my casters, just be ready to push them to the back at short notice while running at extremely slow speed. Also ensure the other melee character has some serious muscle by that stage, and stick close to the stairs

Another thing you can do when you have your casters on the front lines is to have a mage standing by ready to throw Narpic (darkness) at the first sign of trouble. Unless you are facing undead or enchanted, that will end the battle instantly (although you won't get any treasure).

Remember too that your priests are really support characters. You need to get them up in levels so they have plenty of spells, but they are really mostly there to support the fighters by healing them.
BukarooBanzai
#7 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 2:49:37 PM

Medals:

yes fully agree, priest are good at support, but at the begining while the tank and the mage are still usefull cos they have more spells or hit points, the priest cannot heal a lot of time and need to go to the inn more often even if he didn t gain a level .... but that s how all these games work, build a strong team is quite hard at the begining, should be better soon :) ... juste been wiped by a group of spider stronger than the ones that i ve already met, after a while all my characters had lvl up but i still had some spells and half HP for the 2 warriors so i decided to walk and try to grab one or 2 treasures near the entrance hahahaha .... no .... all dead ... no more money ... it s strange how sleep and confusion work or not depending of the kind of enemies, now i know which one works better :)
John Gaby
#8 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 8:23:32 PM

Medals:

Don't forget Narpic (darkness). Except against undead and enchanted it will get you out of a tight spot. When I start out with a new party (which I have done many, many times), I try and head back when my mages have only 1 Narpic left. Otherwise I can easily get into a jam that I cannot get out of.

Also, if you get into trouble, crank the speed way down. Also you can pause the game by simply selecting one of the monster groups. This gives you time to think about what you need to do.

My typical starter party has 2 fighters, 2 (at least) mages, 2 priests and a thief. After you level up a couple of levels, try using the 'Gem Of Finding' to locate the 'Secret Room' which contains some pretty nifty items. Note that you can purchase additional Gems of Finding in the shop.
BukarooBanzai
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:42:12 AM

Medals:

thanks again for all your precious advices, i have a new team now all between lvl 3 and 8, and a better comprehension of when i should stop and go back to the inn now. hahahah i have to stop to be greeeedy :p... For the moment i cannot figure how the age will impact my team at higher level so i created 2 dwarf warrior and 2 kobolds warriors to keep at least 2 tank experimented if the kobold come old too soon and die. I don t want to run back with only priest and mage hahahah it ll be a nightmare .... It s really a great game with a permanent tension when exploring the dungeon and a great feeling of sastisfaction when a hard fight is won. Having 10 members in the team is also great, first time that i can manage a such team, 2 days ago i starded the game with a team of 6 characters (warrior, mage, priest), i didn t want that the game became too easy with 10 .... but after a lot of dead yesterday i created a 10 members party to see (4 warriors, to help me on the way back + a thief ) ... i love the learn by death experience ... same spirit than the Demon souls game ... voila, now go back to the game to explore lvl -2 but before going to use the #gem of finding#, didn t try yet
John Gaby
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:29:30 AM

Medals:

If you are careful, you will find that age is not that much of a problem (Just look at the hall of Fame). Some advice to help with that:

1) Never rest in the streets

2) Never rest to regain hits. Use your priests in the dungeon the heal just before you return, or, worst case, use the House of Healing.

3) Always use the most expensive inn that you can afford (at the beginning this is probably the 15 gold inn). Remember that you are charged the specified amount for EACH character that needs to rest. (If a character doesn't need to rest, then he is not charged, but he still DOES age). One strategy that I use when starting out is make my first couple of rests in the 15 gold inn (when there are a lot of players that need resting) and then switch to a more expensive inn to get the last one or two.

Once you get down to level 3 or 4 you will probably find that you are rolling in dough and will be able to afford to always rest in the most expensive inn.
BukarooBanzai
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:28:06 AM

Medals:

thks, and yes i realised that i should wait until a character gain 2 level to go to the inn and remove from my team the ones that don t really need to rest to avoid wasting money and gain weeks to quickly

just discovered that axe+1 or mace +1 are often found near the entrance in some chest after a fight, and they can be sold for 7000, so now money is no more a problem, i have at least 4 mace+1 that i don t have the use :)

my team changed again, hirebrand are quite slow compare to the ninja so a mix of this 2 class is quite effective on the front line ... so i m still doing test between lvl-1 and -2 to build a team which can bring me down to the level -10 :)