Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
A tale of sorrow and rekindled interest!
Hellion7776
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 3:20:39 AM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
So... My coworkers decided it would be in my best interest to talk me into rooting my phone and updating my OS to something closer to a modern android build... Sadly I agreed without thinking of all the work I had put in on Oubliette and a few other opened ended games. I (think) I backed up the data from my phone onto my desktop and pulled the trigger on a ROM that looked promising...

Fast forward a weeks time and I am STILL regretting this descision. I haven't been able to recover my game data or save files (John, let me know if you can help), and I still havent found a build that I am really happy with...

With this in mind, I offer a cautionary tale to all who intend to play with your phones. All those hours lurking in the shadows of floor 10, all the hours you spent rolling those 4 Rangers and 2 Samurai you so cherish, all those hours you leveled your whole party up to be truely powerful, all those hours you spent farming that EPIC gear... all those hours can be lost in a moment of weakness. About 240 hours on my main group...

That being said, I started out on a new Player name... fresh and clean as a wee baby's butt...

OMG I forgot how hard this game was at low levels. =) I feel invigorated and revitalized! New toons, no overpowered Titan hunting, no End boss farming... Just good old fashined difficulty! Now I admit, I did have to start fresh three times, and a good run of bad luck happens to us all. But here I am, farming lvl 5 like a boss and begining my Ranger creation. I was able to farm the top 5 levels for (what I think) are all the hidden room items. I was able to try different starting tactics. I was even able to get a Kobold Mage up and running safely (John Favorite character build). It is refreshing to find a game that can truely scratch the Dungeon crawling itch so perfectly that you can restart fresh and still be happy!

PS. Did I mention how hard it is at low levels. ;)
Playing on a AT&T Samsung Infuse (SAMSUNG-SGH-I997) Firmware 2.2.1
(V 2.2g) Dwarf, Human, Gnoll, Hobbit and Elf Rangers all created
200 hours and loving every minute of it !!!
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 1:39:16 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I wish you had let me know before you reset you phone. If you had submitted a comment in-game, your game file would have been sent to my server and I could have set up a download for you. As it is, I am afraid that I cannot offer you much help restoring your old characters.

However, as one who has started from scratch many times I can tell you that, for me, it is the journey, not the destination that is the fun.

By the way, Kobold Mages are easy. Try getting a Kobold Samurai (although I must admit that I did use Portal Gems for that one).
Hellion7776
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:08:34 PM

Medals:

Kobold Samurai... interesting. They gain enough HP to hit 999 at a normal level?
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 12:11:53 AM

Medals:

Hellion7776 wrote:
Kobold Samurai... interesting. They gain enough HP to hit 999 at a normal level?

I couldn't tell you because I have NEVER had a character of any kind reach 999 HP. They do level fairly quickly, however. The problem is that it is impossible to roll them directly (they simply do not have enough die). You have to roll them as a Peasant and then level them until you make the stat requirements. And, of course, while they are leveling as Peasants they don't get near the HP they would have gotten if they had started out as Samurai.
Hellion7776
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 12:41:43 AM

Medals:

I took a few minutes and looked at the stats possible on a Kobold... seems the only thing that is a problem is the Wisdom stat. It tops out at 14 on natural rolls. Ill build one and let you know how I like him. =)

Btw... Do you have any of the old files from my days of helping with Beta? that would be a great starting point to get back on track.

Hellion
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:08:25 AM

Medals:

Hellion7776 wrote:
Btw... Do you have any of the old files from my days of helping with Beta? that would be a great starting point to get back on track.

I looked for old comments but did not find any with the email address you are using on this forum. Do you know what email address you might have used?
Hellion7776
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:13:16 AM

Medals:

Nope, this is the one. Thanks so much for looking. I will mourn my mid 80s party. but it is most likely for the best. I had farmed all the items from the end boss anyways. Now I am going thru each level and finding all the secret room loot at the proper level. I have so many portal gems its unreal. =)

Thanks again John, and happy new year!

Hellion
Paool
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:34:20 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

John Gaby wrote:
I wish you had let me know before you reset you phone. If you had submitted a comment in-game, your game file would have been sent to my server and I could have set up a download for you. As it is, I am afraid that I cannot offer you much help restoring your old characters.

However, as one who has started from scratch many times I can tell you that, for me, it is the journey, not the destination that is the fun.

By the way, Kobold Mages are easy. Try getting a Kobold Samurai (although I must admit that I did use Portal Gems for that one).

How many generations of "backup via comment" does your server retain?

BTW, I didn't create this response via the THANK button, so let me take this opportunity thank you for this mind-blowingly wonderful game. I've always (by which I mean since the late '90s when I first started playing them) loved RPG's but I never thought that one of the mere dungeon crawling variety would keep me this involved, happy and entertained for so long.
John Gaby
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:50:28 PM

Medals:

Paool wrote:

How many generations of "backup via comment" does your server retain?

I don't currently delete any of the comments, but I don't get that many, so it is not really a problem.