Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Idea for improving the ninja class
Kan
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:25:29 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Ever consider allowing the ninja to cast some basic magic spells? Ninja of old were rumored to have knowledge in the mystic arts. Not all of the spells of course but a few from each tier would be a huge improvement without overpowering them.
Kan
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 7:47:56 AM

Medals:

After reading nearly every post, I stumbled on the idea of magic being allowed for them already. There are alot of magic user classes already. I noticed his idea if them being able to hit from the 3-6 positions, and how you thought that would create a third melee slot. How about a slight change in that. An ability where the ninja switches places with a character on slot one or two and comes in with a very strong swing. The player would choose which frontman to replace. Opinions on this?
John Gaby
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:23:30 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is an interesting idea. However, to be honest, if I were to put in more work into Oubliette (aside from maintenance changes), I would much rather put effort into making a multi-player version like the original. Although this single player game can be fun, it is but a shadow of the original. Imagine playing where the party you are in consisted of 5 or 6 other REAL people, each controlling one character. The original Oubliette was a much more social game, much like the 'paper dnd' which inspired it.

That being said, your enhancement might be useful for such a future version. I need to be careful about the concept of 'balanced' classes, however. If you try and do that, you usually end up with all the classes pretty much being the same. I think that a better approach (which I try somewhat in this version) is to tie a class's relative power to the rate at which they can advance. Hence the lesser classes can advance much faster than the better ones. Still, I would like for each class in the game to have SOME use.
Kan
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:34:42 PM

Medals:

I'm glad you thought about it. I usually have a ninja in my team but they don't really play much of a part so far besides a guy to get killed before my mages lol. I haven't yet noticed them leveling up much faster than any of the other classes, but that may just be my bad luck. I can understand why you don't want the classes to all be the same. It really would be pointless then. I know oubliette is unique from other Rpg games in many ways, one of the interesting things about it, but most other Rpg games have each class having an ability or a mashup of other classes. Although, I have never had the chance to play the old school dungeons and dragons myself.

an idea for making it a multiplayer game like it originally was would be to set it up like other mmorpgs in that when you're in the dungeon, and a member of your party leaves the game an option to port out of the dungeon our stay and take your chances with the smaller party would pop up. Of course I'd they ported out there would need to be a timer to delay them from doing it again, or it would become more like a taxi teleport service. Although I myself like the I myself like the style the game is now. Controlling all the characters alone subdues my A.D.D. very well.

One question on classes though, what's the real difference in a sage and a ranger? I know rangers can do combat, but they aren't the best at it right? Or are they a viable alternative got combat like the samurai?
John Gaby
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:21:06 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Kan wrote:
One question on classes though, what's the real difference in a sage and a ranger? I know rangers can do combat, but they aren't the best at it right? Or are they a viable alternative got combat like the samurai?

Sages are easier to roll and not as good in melee combat. However the Samurai cannot be beat for combat so you would probably never put a Ranger up front anyway.
Dweeb
#6 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 11:59:57 AM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Kan wrote:

Sages are easier to roll and not as good in melee combat. However the Samurai cannot be beat for combat so you would probably never put a Ranger up front anyway.

I like Rangers better than Sages mainly because they end up with MUCH higher hit points. Even if you don't have them up front a Ranger with a ton of hit points is easier to keep alive.