Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Party makeup - aging/mini map
jared71
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:35:04 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I am only at level 18 with a hirebrand as my highest character. I have seen level 5 of the dungeon. I am hoping to get input from people who have characters of level 60+

I rolled up some samari’s as people suggested. I choose elf so that I could actually get the stats and start with one at level 1.

1. I am curious how do people get around aging issues with using a kobold or an orc. Does it just not take that long to level up to 60 or so to win the game?

2. People suggested the kobold but he has horrible stats and hit points. Does he level up 2x or 5x faster than an elf? One chart showed a mage being 20 exp and a kobold was 6 exp. I am not sure if they are added together or multiplied. I think the elf is 25 exp or so. My front fighters gain levels fast but my spell casters have a slower time leveling up. Do you level up based on damage you do, how many monsters you kill, or just if you participate in a fight (doing a little damage or being hit). Once you hit level 10+ things do get a lot slower in terms of leveling.

3. With monsters (info) shows what attacks they can do. Do they roll randomly on that list or is there an order? If I see enemy casters, I quickly drop a fireball or ice storm on them before they can act so they don’t hurt my back ranks. If there are 10 priests do they all cast a spell, when they get to act?

4. My dwarf priest is only level 11 or so and with a 24 wis he already has 6th level spells. Seems strange as my mages are at 4th level spells. I am hoping to get a spell that puts me deeper in the dungeon soon.

5. Game improvement: The game is very fun obviously or I wouldn’t be on the forum. I wish you could have a mini map that can stay up, especially after you cast locate. It would be good to see an arrow that shows your direction too. Certain spells could show traps or teleport locations. I am not much for remembering a map from memory.

Thanks.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:59:56 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
jared71 wrote:

1. I am curious how do people get around aging issues with using a kobold or an orc. Does it just not take that long to level up to 60 or so to win the game?

The key to not aging is to never rest to regain hits (always heal while in the dungeon). For non-spell throwers, only rest to make level. For spell throwers, rest to restore spells, but always use the best inn.

jared71 wrote:
2. People suggested the kobold but he has horrible stats and hit points. Does he level up 2x or 5x faster than an elf? One chart showed a mage being 20 exp and a kobold was 6 exp. I am not sure if they are added together or multiplied. I think the elf is 25 exp or so. My front fighters gain levels fast but my spell casters have a slower time leveling up. Do you level up based on damage you do, how many monsters you kill, or just if you participate in a fight (doing a little damage or being hit). Once you hit level 10+ things do get a lot slower in terms of leveling.

Kobolds level very quickly, which is why I like them. It is true that they won't get as many hit points as other classes. Spell casters take longer to level than melee types. You do not gain 'experience' in the way you are probably used to. Each time you damage or kill a monster, you have a chance to make level. The probability of your doing so depends on your level, the monster level and the level of the dungeon you are on. The only way to gain experience other than fighting is for thief types to disarm boxes. I believe that with the right party, you can still level fairly quickly even at high levels.

jared71 wrote:
3. With monsters (info) shows what attacks they can do. Do they roll randomly on that list or is there an order? If I see enemy casters, I quickly drop a fireball or ice storm on them before they can act so they don’t hurt my back ranks. If there are 10 priests do they all cast a spell, when they get to act?

The attack the monster chooses each round is random. It is wise to take out spell casters quickly. Also be wary of monsters that can stone and drain (drain is especially nasty as there is no way to recover lost levels). If there are 10 spell casters, then, yes, indeed, they all get a shot when it is their turn. When a monster group gets it's turn, it's image will be highlighted. Note that only the first group of monsters can attack via a melee attack so if you see groups in the back that are glowing, that means that they are spell casters.

jared71 wrote:
4. My dwarf priest is only level 11 or so and with a 24 wis he already has 6th level spells. Seems strange as my mages are at 4th level spells. I am hoping to get a spell that puts me deeper in the dungeon soon.

Priests get their level 6 spells much sooner than mages, but mages level 6 spells can be very devastating.

jared71 wrote:
5. Game improvement: The game is very fun obviously or I wouldn’t be on the forum. I wish you could have a mini map that can stay up, especially after you cast locate. It would be good to see an arrow that shows your direction too. Certain spells could show traps or teleport locations. I am not much for remembering a map from memory.

There are items in the special rooms which enable you to see traps and teleport locations.