Tag as favorite
Newcomer questions
apolis
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:11:58 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi John,
I just started playing Oubliette (Version 2.1 on Android), and it's just the kind of game I love. But some things are not clear to me - would you please clarify?

1. Do I have access to all the gold owned by the characters in the tavern, even those who are not currently in my party?

2. If I delete a character, do I lose any gold?

3. How does the community pack work? In addition to my characters' equipped items and the "community pack" of 16 items each for the whole party, is there another community pack at the Tavern for the characters not currently in the party?

4. If I delete a character, are that character's equipped items deleted or do they move into the "community pack"?

5. Please remind me: If I enter the dungeon with the maximum number of carryable items, and then find 10 more items in the dungeon, can I carry those too, or do I have to drop stuff before I pick up anything new?

6. I'm not clear what gets restored by a portal. Suppose I create a portal, and then some time later I spend 10 minutes rearranging the party, redistributing items, selling unused items, and buying items; should I make another portal afterwards? I'd hate to die and have to redo all that work. Unless the portal retains the current party configuration and equippage even after you die?

7. How can I find out how much gold my party has while I'm in the dungeon? I want to know if I can afford item XYZ at the shop yet, but none of the menus in the dungeon display our gold.

8. Do you have to walk through walls in this game? In the oldies like Might & Magic, and maybe Wizardry (but I forget), some walls were actually secret doors so you had to test every single wall just in case. But please tell me before I waste hundreds of extra hours banging my head on every wall of the dungeon for no reason.

9. Is it easier to beat the game with 10 characters or with a smaller party like 4 or 6? Does the game give you proportionally fewer monsters if you have a smaller party?

10. When buying items in Grundig's store, is there a way to find information about the item before I buy it? For example, if I click on Short Sword, there doesn't seem to be any info about what damage it does, what classes can use it, etc. I certainly don't want to spend 500000 gold on a "Holy Ring" and it'll turn out it's just "AC -2" or something.

Thanks very much!
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:16:35 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
apolis wrote:
Hi John,
1. Do I have access to all the gold owned by the characters in the tavern, even those who are not currently in my party?

Yes

apolis wrote:

2. If I delete a character, do I lose any gold?

no

apolis wrote:
3. How does the community pack work? In addition to my characters' equipped items and the "community pack" of 16 items each for the whole party, is there another community pack at the Tavern for the characters not currently in the party?

Each character can take up to 16 items into the dungeon (in addition to those he has equipped). Originally, each character had access to only his 16 items, but this proved to be a pain in the ass, so I changed it so that all characters have access to all of the items. However, I did not want to increase the number of total items that you could carry into the dungeon. Therefore, the total number of items you can take into the dungeon is 16 times the number of characters in the party. However, all of the characters will have access to all of the items.

apolis wrote:
4. If I delete a character, are that character's equipped items deleted or do they move into the "community pack"?

They are deleted.

apolis wrote:
5. Please remind me: If I enter the dungeon with the maximum number of carryable items, and then find 10 more items in the dungeon, can I carry those too, or do I have to drop stuff before I pick up anything new?

I believe that is correct, but I am not quite sure. There is, however, a maximum limit to the total number of items you can have in the game (both in the dungeon and castle).

apolis wrote:
6. I'm not clear what gets restored by a portal. Suppose I create a portal, and then some time later I spend 10 minutes rearranging the party, redistributing items, selling unused items, and buying items; should I make another portal afterwards? I'd hate to die and have to redo all that work. Unless the portal retains the current party configuration and equippage even after you die?

The portal saves the complete game state (with the exception of how many portal gems you have). So if you re-arrange your packs and then restore, that rearrangement will be lost.

apolis wrote:
7. How can I find out how much gold my party has while I'm in the dungeon? I want to know if I can afford item XYZ at the shop yet, but none of the menus in the dungeon display our gold.

Interestingly, this is the first time I realized that I do not show that anywhere in the dungeon. It is odd that no one has mentioned this before, because, as you said, it might be useful information.

apolis wrote:
8. Do you have to walk through walls in this game? In the oldies like Might & Magic, and maybe Wizardry (but I forget), some walls were actually secret doors so you had to test every single wall just in case. But please tell me before I waste hundreds of extra hours banging my head on every wall of the dungeon for no reason.

There is a way to walk through walls, however, I do not believe that there is any place in the dungeon that you cannot get to without walking through walls. There are no secret doors in this version of Oubliette (the original version had them).

apolis wrote:
9. Is it easier to beat the game with 10 characters or with a smaller party like 4 or 6? Does the game give you proportionally fewer monsters if you have a smaller party?

The number of monsters you face is not affected by the size of the party. Although you can have 10 characters, you really do not need that many. Remember that only the first two characters can engage in melee fighting. I have found that a party of 5 or 6 works well. Of course, it has to be the right combination of classes.

apolis wrote:
10. When buying items in Grundig's store, is there a way to find information about the item before I buy it? For example, if I click on Short Sword, there doesn't seem to be any info about what damage it does, what classes can use it, etc. I certainly don't want to spend 500000 gold on a "Holy Ring" and it'll turn out it's just "AC -2" or something.

I am confused since I believe that most of the information is already displayed when you tap on the item. In any case, there are no 'cursed' items in the game. Some items may lower your AC, but only because of some other positive characteristic.

I hope this helps.

apolis
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:21:05 PM

Medals:

Thanks so much John for your quick reply! This is extremely helpful. Can't wait to play this more :)

I think the Grundig's store problem may have been a bug, and it's working correctly now after I quit the app and reopened it. (I thought I remembered it showing the info for each item I clicked on when I was originally experimenting with the pre-made characters) . I deleted all the premade characters to "make the tavern less crowded", then created 6 of my own chars, then went into the dungeon (amazingly, no one died!) and then came back to the city and went to Grundig's store. Normally, when in the store, there are two "panes" on the screen: The left-hand pane shows the scrollable list of items for sale; the right-hand pane is supposed to show EITHER what a character is currently equipped (if you click one of your characters) OR the properties of the store item (if you click a store item). The problem was, it wasn't switching out of "character equipment display mode" even when I clicked a store item.

I'll let you know if it happens again.
Thanks again!
watf1090
#4 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 4:37:27 PM

Medals:

Apolis, thank you!!! Much of what you asked was info I appreciate knowing.

John, the Grundig bug is real, but not to annoying to me. There are times when t the info panel won't show info on what you're browsing. I really couldn't tell you when it occurs, tho. It usually shows normally later in the session - that is, I just leave the store, kill a Kobold or two, and when I go back, the info panel works.
apolis
#5 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:10:01 PM

Medals:

watf1090 wrote:
Apolis, thank you!!! Much of what you asked was info I appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

I think the portals should be explained more clearly in the instructions. Restoring to a portal restores the ENTIRE APP to a previous state, as if you had made a backup onto a floppy disk and you're now reinstalling from that backup. ***It isn't just for the characters in the current party***. If you "restore to a portal", any characters that were created subsequent to that portal are GONE.

Because of this, if you create an amazing character (like a Ranger that took 6 hours to roll), I recommend creating a portal right afterwards to "save" him -- in fact, it's probably best to spend a day creating 10 or 20 excellent characters; then save a portal so that you'll always have access to this group of characters.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:24:50 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
apolis wrote:
Restoring to a portal restores the ENTIRE APP to a previous state,

That is now quite true. If you create multiple users, creating and restoring portals will only affect the current user.
topcbxan
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:52:43 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Message was deleted by Moderator.