Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 8:04:05 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I have barely started and am already getting -warnings about my age. Months to recover spells is extreme.

Why is the game designed to only let elves be viable long term chars?

Does the paid version reduce the aging for resting?

This game was great on PLATO, but I don't recall my chars dieing from age after a couple days of playing
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:34:35 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You need to learn how to deal with the aging. The amount you age may seem unreasonable at first, but once you learn how to play, it is quite manageable. Elves are provided for those who do not wish to have to deal with aging at all. The downside, is that Elves make levels very slowly. If you read through this forum, you will find numerous tips on how to deal with aging. The following are some basic ideas:

1) You should NEVER rest to regain hits. Always heal all of your characters with your priests before you leave the dungeon. If you find yourself without enough priests to do that, you can always create a couple of throwaway priests who's only purpose is to heal party members. Only rest to regain spells and make levels.

2) Money is tight at the beginning of the game, so you cannot afford to rest in the best inn at the start of the game. It has been my experience that you can use the Comfy Cove and still make ends meet, if you are careful. Never rest in the streets.

3) You should consider the characters that come with the game as your 'Starter Party', and not get too attached to them. Use them to build up a party that can make extended trips to level 3 or below. Once you can do that, you will find that you will generate enough gold to allow you to rest in the best inn.

4) Once you have a good supply of gold, start working on your premium characters (e.g. Rangers, Paladins and Samurai). When playing these characters, always rest in the best inn. If you are really hardcore about aging, you can remove players from the party that don't need to rest before you go to the inn, but it has been my experience that that is not really necessary.

The whole point of the aging is to make it a significant factor in the game, and to provide trade-offs that you must make when choosing your race. We believe that having to make such decisions enhances the game, and, hopefully, you will agree too.

I hope this helps!
John Gaby
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:09:40 PM

Medals:

I also wanted to comment about your perception that aging was not a factor with the PLATO version, because it most definitely was. Perhaps the reason you don't remember it much is the fact that the PLATO version was actually MUCH harder than this version. People generally didn't have much trouble with their characters getting old due to the simple fact that most did not live that long. I, for example, don't believe that I ever had a character much higher than level 10 or so. For those that could play the game well, however, aging was a significant issue. I know of one player in particular who was completely paranoid about it, and would do everything in his power to keep from having to rest.

When we created this game, we felt that we needed to soften it a bit (even so, there are many who still consider it too hard). We introduced the Portal Gems, which pretty much eliminated permanent death, except from aging. So now the aging is all that more important.
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:10:08 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
On this topic I scored a "potion of youth" recently. My Ranger is holding onto it :), but I'm not sure what it really does.
John Gaby
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:46:09 AM

Medals:

It reduces your age by an amount that is in proportion to how old you are. That is, the older your character is when you use it, the more your age is reduced.