Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Excellent Game! A few thoughts and questions
Midarian
#1 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 3:22:19 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
First, I'd like to thank you for bringing this game out for the Android OS. I never really played the original version (though, I was inspired enough to get the PC version and kill off some characters), but a game like this one was something I was really looking for when I first started digging around to see what mobile games I could find. Growing up I was a big fan of Wizardry, Might and Magic, and The Bard's Tale, and later I fell in love with games like Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, and so forth. I'm actually pretty surprised there aren't more of these; I think they work well on mobile devices, and I tend to have more fun with these games on handhelds too.

It was nice to check out your forum and see how well you address criticisms and suggestions. I think you're doing a good job of addressing player concerns without sacrificing the vision talked about in the documentation. And, reading through some of the threads here did much to help me get moving early on when I felt like I was making mistakes.

Here are a couple of things I thought about while playing that I'd like to forward on:
1. Possible addition to help documentation: Minimum stats for classes. I may have missed the requirements, but I think it would help decide it if would be just best to roll with the Peasant and try for the stat increases.

2. Not sure if this is useful after the initial files download, but would it be possible to add a checkbox or something that would override the device's power-saving/screen timeout feature? I installed the game at work, and it was easy for me to set my phone down and have to restart the installation from where it left off.

3. I realize there's a lot to this suggestion, especially with risking the current game balance, but with the modest following that more modern party-based dungeons crawlers may have now (ex. Atlus' Etrian Odyssey), have you considered a "casual" mode for for those that might find the older flavor of dungeon crawling a bit too inaccessible? To throw out some ideas, things like a little more common treasure early on, increased age limits (say, up humans to 80 years as opposed to 60), etc. Now that I write it, I don't particularly like this idea, haha.

And, a few question to finish off!
1. When I first stepped onto the second floor, the game automatically made a save. Now, if I were to reset the game to its default state using the original save, would all of the saves made when advancing in the dungeons get deleted and re-created when proceeding through the floors again?

2. When resting at the Inn, and a character is full (with the checkmark), does any subsequent months to heal other party members also age anybody who's full? I can tell it doesn't affect people not in the party, but I wasn't quite sure on those in your party. It seems like it does, but I may be seeing things.

Thanks, and just FYI: I just officially made my purchase today, the first Android App I actually spent money on. You should take that as high praise. :)

The next version looks like it's going to smooth out a lot of things. I'm definitely looking forward to it! Good luck with your game development.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 5:00:54 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the feedback, I am glad you like it.

Midarian wrote:
1. Possible addition to help documentation: Minimum stats for classes. I may have missed the requirements, but I think it would help decide it if would be just best to roll with the Peasant and try for the stat increases.

We left that out on purpose as we wanted to have some mystery to the game. However, because a number of people requested that information, it can be found in this forum at:

http://gabysoft.com/foru...t.aspx?g=posts&t=36

Midarian wrote:
2. Not sure if this is useful after the initial files download, but would it be possible to add a checkbox or something that would override the device's power-saving/screen timeout feature? I installed the game at work, and it was easy for me to set my phone down and have to restart the installation from where it left off.

The new version will hopefully have the ability to continue the download, even if the screen times out. The current version does not run in background (it saves the game and exits), and that is something that we hope to change.

Midarian wrote:
3. I realize there's a lot to this suggestion, especially with risking the current game balance, but with the modest following that more modern party-based dungeons crawlers may have now (ex. Atlus' Etrian Odyssey), have you considered a "casual" mode for for those that might find the older flavor of dungeon crawling a bit too inaccessible? To throw out some ideas, things like a little more common treasure early on, increased age limits (say, up humans to 80 years as opposed to 60), etc. Now that I write it, I don't particularly like this idea, haha.

I don’t like the idea of changing the aging. It is all about trade-offs. If you don’t want to worry about aging, simply choose to run all Elves.

Midarian wrote:
1. When I first stepped onto the second floor, the game automatically made a save. Now, if I were to reset the game to its default state using the original save, would all of the saves made when advancing in the dungeons get deleted and re-created when proceeding through the floors again?

When an auto-portal is created, your previous portals are not deleted. There was a bug where they appeared to be gone, but if you exited the game and came back in, they were back. Also, using portals does not alter other portals. So if you use the 'Reset' portal that is created when you start the game, portals that you might have created later will still be there, and you can use them to set the game back to that state. Note that using the 'Reset' portal does not reset the number of portal gems you have. If you want to truly reset the whole game, you would need to un-install and then re-install, in which case all of your previous data would be lost.

Midarian wrote:
2. When resting at the Inn, and a character is full (with the checkmark), does any subsequent months to heal other party members also age anybody who's full? I can tell it doesn't affect people not in the party, but I wasn't quite sure on those in your party. It seems like it does, but I may be seeing things.

All the players age. If this were not so, then your fighters would never age at all (assuming that you always healed them before you returned to the castle) and this was deemed undesirable. You can, of course, dump some of the players from the party while you rest the others, but since this is such a pain in the butt, most people won’t do that.