Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
peasant uses
marlin
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:45:09 AM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Do peasants earn stats when they make levels?

Like if I amonly one point away from making a stud ranger, should I level up as a peasant until I get the missing state and then join the ranger guild?

This is how the c64 and do games worked, I cannot find any info in the help for this version though.
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:54:36 AM

Medals:

Groups:

I tried this without success, but that doesn't mean it can't work. In the end I finally rolled a Ranger who didn't graduate, so I let him raise a level as a peasant, retried, and then he passed. He's already raised several times, at 160 HP, and loaded with spells.
John Gaby
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:55:16 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes, peasants are very useful in that regard. If you can roll a character that has stats close to what you need, you can choose a peasant, and each time they make level (which they make VERY fast) there is a chance that one or more of their stats will go up. Once you have sufficient stats, you can enter the guild of your choice. While you CAN actually roll a Ranger, there are Race/Class combinations that are impossible to roll. For example, you cannot roll a Kobold Samurai, and yet, I have two of them.

Note that the higher the character's level, the more likely he is to die in training. If you use portal gems, however...
Gio
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:53:21 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

John Gaby wrote:
If you use portal gems, however...

..you are weak. WEAK!

I've not had too much personal success with the peasantry, but I keep trying. =/

- Gio
Wyrdne
#5 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 5:31:56 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Tester

I'm not certain if this is a separate question, but regardless, most of my elves tended to die early on. The antidote seemed to be great caution in types of monsters confronted, (using the standard tactic of using the premade party to level new peasants), and creating only characters with a reasonable number of hit points.

The slight trouble now is that I created an elf with a reasonable number of hit points, and patiently levelled him, as peasant, to level 9 or so. In fact, he's one or two points in constitution from qualifying for a ranger, (trying the beta), but now he's stopped levelling, even though I let him fight all monsters singlehandedly in virtually every battle with creatures who can't finish him in a single turn. He still has only 26 hit points or so, and I'd like to reach 50 hit points or so before he changes class. Is this possible? His AC is horrible, and anything much tougher than a sprite is still dangerous. It's necessary to heal him after every battle, then reorder the party again to put fletcher and kregor first once more.

How many hit points are needed before class change? Previously I tried levelling Paladins and Samurai, rather than Peasants, but even with better armour, they didn't seem to live long.

Also, after class change, does a character keep his old level, or does he start from level 1 again? Namely, will a level 9 peasant have to reach level 9 as a ranger or samurai to start gaining hit points again?

Is it necessary to have the party fight tougher monsters for him to continue to level? The hirebrands have now levelled to around 17 or 18, for comparison, and still seem to gain levels, if very slowly.

On still another tangent, oddly, among two mages and a sage, one mage has levelled to 4 or 5, while the other two are still stuck on level 1, at 1 and 2 hit points, respectively, (acolytes, or whatever they're called (they cast minat) are still dangerous: the mage with 1 max hp only survived thanks to a lucky resurrection).

Do characters have to be among the first six in the party to level effectively? How else is it possible to improve the chances of mages and sages to level? This is unbearable.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:11:52 PM

Medals:

Wyrdne wrote:
How many hit points are needed before class change? Previously I tried levelling Paladins and Samurai, rather than Peasants, but even with better armour, they didn't seem to live long.

You do not need hit points to join a guild, only stats. Note, however, that if you level a peasant, he will not gain hits as fast as a Ranger. So if you level your peasant to level 10 and then convert him to a ranger, he will not be as powerful. Also note that the higher level your peasant, the more difficult it is to join a guild. Of course if you us temporal gems...

Wyrdne wrote:
Also, after class change, does a character keep his old level, or does he start from level 1 again? Namely, will a level 9 peasant have to reach level 9 as a ranger or samurai to start gaining hit points again?

You keep your level when you join a guild. Note, however, that only peasants can join a guild. You cannot change any other class.

Wyrdne wrote:
Is it necessary to have the party fight tougher monsters for him to continue to level? The hirebrands have now levelled to around 17 or 18, for comparison, and still seem to gain levels, if very slowly.

Yes, the chance of making a level is dependent on both the difference between your level and the monster's level AND the level on the dungeon you are on. This means that if you fight the same monster on level 2, you will have a better chance of making level than fighting it on level 1.

Wyrdne wrote:
On still another tangent, oddly, among two mages and a sage, one mage has levelled to 4 or 5, while the other two are still stuck on level 1, at 1 and 2 hit points, respectively, (acolytes, or whatever they're called (they cast minat) are still dangerous: the mage with 1 max hp only survived thanks to a lucky resurrection).

Making levels works differently in this game than others you might have played. There is no 'experience' number that accumulates until you reach a certain value which advances you. Instead, each time you kill a monster (or get hit by one), you have a chance of making level. As I stated above, that chance depends on the difference between your level and the monsters. So identical characters will advance at seemingly different rates, but that is just the luck of the draw.

Wyrdne wrote:
Do characters have to be among the first six in the party to level effectively? How else is it possible to improve the chances of mages and sages to level? This is unbearable.

Not exactly. If you are a melee fighter then you can only gain experience if you are one of the first two in the party (the ones that actually fight). If you have a ranged attack (i.e. spells), then you can gain experience from any position in the party (but you must use spells that kill or dispel the monsters). Thief types can also gain experience from successfully disarming trapped boxes. If you want mages that advance faster, I have 2 words for you 'Kobold Mage'!
Wyrdne
#7 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:56:25 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Wyrdne wrote:

You do not need hit points to join a guild, only stats. Note, however, that if you level a peasant, he will not gain hits as fast as a Ranger. So if you level your peasant to level 10 and then convert him to a ranger, he will not be as powerful. Also note that the higher level your peasant, the more difficult it is to join a guild. Of course if you us temporal gems...

Not so much needed as recommended, effectively .. I didn't want the peasant to be stuck as a level 1 ranger with 25 hps, and be unable to level rapidly due to decreased chance to level for ranger, with respect to peasant. 50 hps seemed a reasonable number, (for very low levels of the dungeon), to set speed at 4x and still be able to react in time in the case of an emergency.

Anyway, the strategy guide from Snaferu indicated use of peasants to gain early hps for otherwise unviable class-race combinations, so I was curious as to how many hps were standard. Thanks.
Wyrdne
#8 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:18:26 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:

Wyrdne wrote:

Making levels works differently in this game than others you might have played. There is no 'experience' number that accumulates until you reach a certain value which advances you. Instead, each time you kill a monster (or get hit by one), you have a chance of making level. As I stated above, that chance depends on the difference between your level and the monsters. So identical characters will advance at seemingly different rates, but that is just the luck of the draw.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The one thing is .. The mage who levels a lot has the highest intelligence, and so, the most spells, and so the best chance to level per dungeon trip. Or perhaps this is obvious, and I should have spent more time when rolling characters.

Anyhow, my idea was that wisdom, intelligence, or 'luck' might, as in some games, have a secret, hidden effect or influence on a character's chance to level, as it might, (beyond its increasing the number of spell points), represent chance to learn or advance rapidly. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't the case.

John Gaby wrote:

Wyrdne wrote:

Not exactly. If you are a melee fighter then you can only gain experience if you are one of the first two in the party (the ones that actually fight). If you have a ranged attack (i.e. spells), then you can gain experience from any position in the party (but you must use spells that kill or dispel the monsters). Thief types can also gain experience from successfully disarming trapped boxes. If you want mages that advance
faster, I have 2 words for you 'Kobold Mage'!

Thanks, but I had wanted my mages to live for more than ten years! :) Still, possibly I'll try the kobold pre-made. Anyhow, mainly I've been trying to develop Samurais and Rangers, and possibly Paladins, Ninjas, and a Thief and Priest.

One thing, actually.. Would it be possible to allow either (or both):
1. rearranging the character list in the tavern? I always remove characters who don't need to rest at an inn before entering, and scrolling through 50 characters to re-add them becomes a bit of a nuisance. Also, a grid or an array, rather than a list, could probably help to fit more characters on a single page.
2. choosing a character or characters from among the active party to actively enter the inn, as in Wizardry, so that the others don't age, but so that it also isn't necessary to remove them from the party beforehand?
Thanks.

Wyrdne
#9 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:50:48 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Wyrdne wrote:

You do not need hit points to join a guild, only stats. Note, however, that if you level a peasant, he will not gain hits as fast as a Ranger. So if you level your peasant to level 10 and then convert him to a ranger, he will not be as powerful.

My problem is simply my own low standards for what characters to keep, I suppose. Other people mention rolling for hours to get samurais or rangers. I kept more or less any character with 25+ for a single stat, if int, wis, dex, or con, or 10+ for five or six stats, so I have 50 characters, and none of them are rangers. A couple of peasants who can become paladins immediately, and a single peasant-to-be-samurai. I was afraid I would overlook good mages, priests, thieves, paladins, samurai, and all-around good characters in the quest for a starting ranger.

Anyway, on the plus side, elven rangers are actually possible: they exist! .. in this version of Oubliette, so possibly I can tolerate one slightly less powerful.
John Gaby
#10 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:02:35 PM

Medals:

Wyrdne wrote:

One thing, actually.. Would it be possible to allow either (or both):
1. rearranging the character list in the tavern? I always remove characters who don't need to rest at an inn before entering, and scrolling through 50 characters to re-add them becomes a bit of a nuisance. Also, a grid or an array, rather than a list, could probably help to fit more characters on a single page.
2. choosing a character or characters from among the active party to actively enter the inn, as in Wizardry, so that the others don't age, but so that it also isn't necessary to remove them from the party beforehand?

I actually originally played with the idea of not aging any character that didn't need to rest (note that they are NOT charged), but then I realized that the fighter characters would never age if I did that (assuming that you healed them in the dungeon before returning). I didn't like that, so I make everyone age. Yes, you can drop them out of the party to get around that, but that is a pain in the ass, and I really don't want to make it easier.