Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Advice for advancing non-elf priests and mages without aging them too much
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:32:09 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I am looking for some ideas and recommendations for my weak spellcasters. I am finding that they are very difficult to level up and advance. Also trying to find ideas as to how to keep them away from the Aging Inn... Advice, ideas, recommendations are all appreciated.
Morkani
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:49:44 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

One thing I've done is on lvl1 of the dungeon... When I come across large spiders, I kill everything but one spider then flee my fighters and let my mages,priests take hits till they get to 2 or 3 hit points for some levels. (large spiders only hit for 1hp) I only have elves but I suppose if I had other races I'd use the priests to heal instead of resting & focus on leveling the priests first for more heals, also only healing when absolutely necessary. It might be worth leveling a pally since he can fight for levels and you get free heals. My 2 cents
John Gaby
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:41:56 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
For Mages, Nargor (sleep) and Geigor (confusion) are the spells of choice. Since you only have a few spells to start, you want to use them wisely. Since every time you destroy a monster (kill, sleep, confuse, etc) you get a chance to make level, what you want to do is maximize the number you get with each spell you cast.

Mages should always fight from the back. Have some good fighters that can handle most encounters. Wait until you get encounters with lots of monsters. If you have a single group of, say, 10 or more, check their level. If they are level 1 or 2 use your Mage's Nargor (sleep) spell. If you get multiple groups of monsters (except undead), then use your Mage's Geigor (confusion) spell. The idea is to maximize the number of monsters you kill with each spell.

Also choose races which level more quickly. Kobold Mages make levels like crazy.

If you are trying to level Priests, you CAN do it using only spells, but it is tough. For low levels, the only offensive spell that is particularly useful is the hold person . You can get up to 4 monsters with this spell, but generally you will only have 1 or 2 spells per trip. Priests are also good when facing undead, as they can use their innate dispel ability as well as their level 1 dispel spell.

However, Priests can wear chain mail and use a shield which makes them decent fighters. You can put them up at the front and they can usually hold their own. At the higher levels there are some nice spells (e.g. Rods) which can take out large groups of fairly high level monsters, and you can level them without fighting as much.

#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:21:55 PM

Medals:

Groups:

Also remember to be careful when resting. NEVER rest to regain hits unless you absolutely have no choice. If you want to conserve your gold (a must in the early going), have your priest cure up everyone he can before leaving the dungeon. If you don't have enough spells, and don't have enough money, have everyone but the priest leave your party before entering the inn to rest, and rest ONLY the priest to regain his spells so he can cure up the others after resting for his spells (hopefully just a month). Incidentally, if you are using this strategy, make sure that the priest is cured completely (or as much as you can) before anyone else gets a cure - otherwise the priest will age badly.

In broad terms, age is a fact of life, and you may wish to take that into account with your high value players - you don't want them resting in the streets for lack of gold. If anything, have a group of decent players you don't care about as much who are able to go into the dungeon and harvest gold on longer trips; then give that to your more precious players.

In the original game, many players took this generational approach to building their parties. The first generation are functional but rather simple types (fighters, mages, priests) who are relatively expendable. Once they gain sufficient strength, they can be used to support and develop the initially more vulnerable but ultimately more valuable classes such as rangers, paladins, samurai.
John Gaby
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:15:46 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Also remember that you can create more Priests to give yourself more healing power.