Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
A few questions and a word of thanks!
Tel Prydain
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:28:41 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Considering how easy it would be to port, I’m shocked (and somewhat annoyed) that there haven’t been any Might & Magic or Eye of the Beholder ports on the market – but thankfully Oubliette offers a compelling alternative. It's easily the best native Android RPG I’ve seen.
I love that it still feels like an old school cRPG, but while adding additional content (level 11 and the boss battle).

About the only gripe I have is that gender is random, but I understand that it effects the stats, so I see why that's there. Still a pain when attempting to roll a character of a specific gender.

Are you able to share any plans you might have for the future of Oubliette, or any potental followup?
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:22:37 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Oubliette is really a labor of love. Given today's gamers, it is clear that Oubliette will never be anything more than an niche game, but that is OK. What I would really like to do is to bring back the multiplayer aspect of the original PLATO game. Playing with other real people adds a social context which makes for a much more interesting game. Whether that could ever actually happen is somewhat doubtful, however.

As for the randomness of the character creation, that is one of the appealing aspects of the game I think. In games where you simply select what stats you want, you usually end up with a bunch of players that are carbon copies of each other. In this game, pretty much everyone is different. Whether you get a male or female, like any of your other stats is simply the luck of the draw. I remember one player of the original PLATO Oubliette who was really hard core. He would go in and roll one character at a time and take whatever he got and make the best of it!
Tel Prydain
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:53:32 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Oubliette is really a labor of love. Given today's gamers, it is clear that Oubliette will never be anything more than an niche game, but that is OK. What I would really like to do is to bring back the multiplayer aspect of the original PLATO game. Playing with other real people adds a social context which makes for a much more interesting game. Whether that could ever actually happen is somewhat doubtful, however.

As for the randomness of the character creation, that is one of the appealing aspects of the game I think. In games where you simply select what stats you want, you usually end up with a bunch of players that are carbon copies of each other. In this game, pretty much everyone is different. Whether you get a male or female, like any of your other stats is simply the luck of the draw. I remember one player of the original PLATO Oubliette who was really hard core. He would go in and roll one character at a time and take whatever he got and make the best of it!

I like the idea of a totally random party. :D

The only reason that I'd like the male/female thing is that I normally name my crew after real people. It's a big wierd that the male dwarf is named after my wife. ;)
But it's not like the portrat is shwon anywhere so it doesn't really matter.

Annnnnyhow, it might be a niche market, but niche is making a a comeback. Legend of Grimrock (basically Eye of the Beholder) is doing pretty well and Wasteland 2 has raised $2mil. There is a comunity who loves this stuff. But until I stumbled onto this accidently I had no idea it existed.
Rest assured I'll try and let people know what a great game you have here.
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 7:39:40 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the support.
muckguppy
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:38:23 AM

Medals:

Haha, I was so inspired by that 'hardcore' idea, I've decided to do the same. I roll a d8 to determine race then snap up the first 7 I get, the rest is history! Lots of fun, so far only one ogre hirebrand remains from my original 7. I call him WallNut :D
Ps. I let out a squeal of ecstatic joy when I read Wasteland 2