Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
A few things breaking the game-experience.
Astron
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:30:15 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
First off, as someone else stated: why on earth are fireball and lightning damaging your own party??
This must be one of the silliest things I've seen in a dungeon-crawler. Making main level 3 damage-spells useless=stupid.

Secondly, ageing. Spending hours upon hours levelling characters to make them powerful only to have age killing them off so soon= beyond idiotic. Why would anyone pick any other race than elf in this case?

Thirdly, exploring dungeon. Why aren't there some kind of town(castle) portal? Killing endless hordes of low-level enemies on the way up or down from the deeper levels of the dungeon is tedious and boring for powerful characters.

Fourth, make a menu using the phones menu-button with a load and save last portal-option. It's frustrating to wait for minutes in a fight for the rest of your party to die when you know you'll loose.

And lastly: Sages can cast both mage and priest spells. So why would anyone roll a mage or priest when they can have an all-powerful sage who can cast everything?

Quite a few things where I've been wondering what the hell the developer(s) have been thinking, but it has potential as long as the money we spent on it comes to good use.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:35:57 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Astron wrote:
First off, as someone else stated: why on earth are fireball and lightning damaging your own party??
This must be one of the silliest things I've seen in a dungeon-crawler. Making main level 3 damage-spells useless=stupid.

This is a good point, and will be addressed in the next version. While the spells are not completely useless (I have used them in a pinch), they are nearly so, and need to be fixed.

Astron wrote:
Secondly, ageing. Spending hours upon hours levelling characters to make them powerful only to have age killing them off so soon= beyond idiotic. Why would anyone pick any other race than elf in this case?

It is all about trade-offs. You choose races other than elves because they advance faster. The penalty is that they don't live forever.

Astron wrote:
Thirdly, exploring dungeon. Why aren't there some kind of town(castle) portal? Killing endless hordes of low-level enemies on the way up or down from the deeper levels of the dungeon is tedious and boring for powerful characters.

There are ways to get to the lower levels without having to traverse the levels in between. There are items and spells that will take the whole party down (and up).

Astron wrote:
Fourth, make a menu using the phones menu-button with a load and save last portal-option. It's frustrating to wait for minutes in a fight for the rest of your party to die when you know you'll loose.

Someone else has suggested that you be able to use portals (not create portals) while in the dungeon, and that seems quite reasonable.

Astron wrote:
And lastly: Sages can cast both mage and priest spells. So why would anyone roll a mage or priest when they can have an all-powerful sage who can cast everything?

Once again, it is about trade-offs. Mages advance faster than Sages. Note also that I think of Mages, Fighters, and Priests as being 'starter characters'. They are used to support the leveling of your second generation characters (Samurai, Rangers and Paladins).

Astron wrote:
Quite a few things where I've been wondering what the hell the developer(s) have been thinking, but it has potential as long as the money we spent on it comes to good use.

Your comments are most thoughtful, and, hopefully will help us improve the game.

Thanks!
Astron
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:39:52 PM

Medals:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh, but some of the things seemed very frustrating in an otherwise great game.

Keep up the good work. :)
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:38:13 AM

Medals:

You were not harsh at all, and you made some good points. I may not always agree with everything you suggest, but I welcome constructive criticism like this so that I can make the game better.
Snafaru
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:37:03 PM

Medals:

Call me old school but I'm glad that the game was kept the same regarding spells. One has to realize that in the old and glorious days of dice role-playing (read: the 1980s), most role-playing games had some sort of backfire system where the mage type characters had to contend with. The lower your spell level (or your mage level compared to the spell level), or the lower your mana (the stuff of magic), the greater the chances of backfire, as well as the resistance factor of monsters/foes whereas a spell doesn't necessarily hit every monster in a group or the 1/2 damage factor if they resist, and that's all very well implemented in Oubliette. That's why Oubliette have characters that have more hit points to absorb the backfires, and the low-hit-points mages that have spells to protect against backfires.

I can suggest a compromise to better the general enjoyment of the game by most, get rid of the backfire effects but make those spells that backfire less potent.

Snafaru
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:28:14 PM

Medals:

You make some good points, and actually since the damage done to the party by a fireball decreases as you move back in the party, it is actually quite possible for the entire party to survive a fireball if you set it up correctly. However, the amount of damage done is so great that it is a REAL pain in the ass to get everyone healed back up, so it is really not worth using it. I really hate having spells that no one uses.

My thinking is that I would change the fireball/lightning bolt spells so that they target only one group of monsters (instead of all groups), and would not damage the party. The higher level fireball and lightning bolt spells would still hit all groups.

What do you think?
Snafaru
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:56:22 PM

Medals:

Perfect!

Snafaru
Gio
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:12:36 AM

Medals:

Regarding the mage spell backfire: I flipped 180 degrees on my initial position (get rid of them!). Now that I know what I am dealing with, I'm content to hold back on casting them until my front-line people can survive. Also, I may be crazy, but it certainly seems that my higher level mages hurt the party less and hurt the enemy more. While I agree the initial shock was tremendous, I find the spells very useful these days.
John Gaby
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:27:13 AM

Medals:

The problem with Fireball and Lightning bold hitting your own party is not so much that it is not survivable (because it is), but that the time required to heal everyone back up makes it a total pain in the butt. I for one hardly ever use them for that reason.
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:59:58 PM

Medals:

Yah.. they definitely need fixing. I used them only until I realized it hurt my party as well. Haven't touched them since.