Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Spoiler Alert: Level Limits
Lao Tzu
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:35:36 AM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Looking forward to Version 2.0 almost tempted to buy an Android device to get involoved with the Beta Test. Still playing seeking stat items to create a Kobold Ranger once 2.0 goes live. My top Character a Halfling Samurai just blasted up two levels more levels......

from level 99 up through 100 and now he's Level 101. It's a alot of fun casting Dumatokgor on a party of Time Lords and controlling one. Really looking forward to V 2.0 with the harder lower levels and statring a different user account so I can start over from the begining again. Thanks John keep up the good work!
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:51:21 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks, I am hoping to have an iOS version available for testing soon. By the way, if you have ideas on how to make the lower levels tougher, I am most interested in hearing them.
Lao Tzu
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:51:49 PM

Medals:

Hi John, I found the following on the web when I did a google search for Oubliette Monsters a couple of weeks ago: http://www.cyber1.org/monsters.asp

Some of the creatures listed are not found in the new version. Perhaps adding them to the lowest levels of the dungeon at strengths comparable to the Titan? Orcus, the Chromatic and Platinum Dragons and the Liche look like they could be particularly challenging.
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 9:19:56 AM

Medals:

You can actually play the original multiplayer version of Oubliette from that site.
Lao Tzu
#5 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 12:33:09 PM

Medals:

Thanks John! I was wondering if the site was on the up and up. I'll download the Dos or 64 version and give it a try.

One other thought I had is it seems kind of unfair my main characters can reach -30 (Mogre my level 69 Ogre Mage actually has a -31 armor class with his shield spell and items: a platinum ring, mithril armor and his wizard staff) and the monsters only get a -15 as their best possible armor class.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 6:10:00 PM

Medals:

Lao Tzu wrote:
Thanks John! I was wondering if the site was on the up and up. I'll download the Dos or 64 version and give it a try.

You have to download a PLATO terminal emulator, and then request access. When I did it, the request process was handled by an actual live person and took several days. Once you have access, you can log in like as if you were using an old PLATO terminal, and Oubliette is one of the available games. I have tried it a couple of times, but there has never been anyone else to play with, and you simply CANNOT play the original Oubliette alone.

Lao Tzu wrote:
One other thought I had is it seems kind of unfair my main characters can reach -30 (Mogre my level 69 Ogre Mage actually has a -31 armor class with his shield spell and items: a platinum ring, mithril armor and his wizard staff) and the monsters only get a -15 as their best possible armor class.

Yes, that limit was an artifact of using 5 bits to store the AC in the original DOS implementation (to save memory). I have been thinking that I would like to decrease the AC of some of the lower level monsters. As one who has played those levels, would you find that objectionable?

Lao Tzu
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:08:35 AM

Medals:

Thanks John, requested access and watched some of the videos to learn how the PLATO system works.

Also took the plunge and risked downloaded an Oubliette emulator on my backup laptop from http://www.hotud.org/com...y/func-startdown/16837/ so far so good no viruses. Really missed those temporal gems after creating a party of 6 I wiped out almost immediately. I think I'll try and fill up the Tavern on the emulator and transfer gold so my hirebreands are fully equiped for my next attempt.

I would say making the most powerful monsters harder to hit would make the lowest levels more challenging. The Grand Master's AC should definitely be similar to a Level 40 Player controlled Samurai. I would also have no objections to making the Dragons, Undead and Demons harder to hit.
John Gaby
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:56:38 AM

Medals:

Lao Tzu wrote:
I would say making the most powerful monsters harder to hit would make the lowest levels more challenging. The Grand Master's AC should definitely be similar to a Level 40 Player controlled Samurai. I would also have no objections to making the Dragons, Undead and Demons harder to hit.

How about making some monsters immune to fire or magic or priest spells? That would make you have to change your tactics depending on the monsters you face. Note that I have already increased the number of monster groups that you can face on the lower levels (up to a max of 5).
Lao Tzu
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:49:27 AM

Medals:

Hi John, I would say the dragons and the higher level demons should definitely be fire resistant. Possibly the most powerful could be immune to fire and/or magic. The chart from http://www.cyber1.org/monsters.asp listed what creatures they considered magic and/or fire resistant.

It also lists magic weapons, I think that they are reffering to the need to have a magic weapon to hit the creature but its probably not necessary to add in as usually no one would encounter those more powerful creatures without having acquired some magic weapons.

You mentioned nerfing the Samurai's a little on the Android version and then version 2.0 so they couldn't Swing to Kill twice per round which I agree with but you also mentioned allowing them to use Priest items. This might make them too powerful as spell casters by enabling them to use all their spells and recharge with a priest, bishop or patrairch gem or ring without visitng the inn. Also I think the the Maul of Anrin should probably be reserved for Priests only.