Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Untag as favorite
Levelling Tips?
Mackey
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:55:32 PM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Is there info out there on how levelling works? Seems like after 5 hours and as many trips back to the Castle to replenish my spells that I should be beyond level 4. :s

Some of my specific questions are:

> Is levelling up purely a based on random chance, with the dice changing (increasing) based on the class/race/level of your character? Or is there a "counter" element to it?
> Is this true?: 1 kill = 1 sleep = 1 confuse = 1 dispel = 1 frighten = 1 hold = 1 seduce?
Or do some actions provide better chances of levelling than others?
> Does Confusing 10 mobs give me a great chance to level than Confusing 1 mob?
> Seems like I've levelled before when I got hit but didn't actually inflict any damage. If that's true, do the characters in the first 2 spots have a better chance at levelling than chars further back? Am I better off wearing less armor (if I'm not in danger of dying) and getting hit more often? Does that increase my chance of levelling?
> Does the level of the mob I kill affect the chance of levelling? Or the dungeon level that I'm on?

Thanks for any help!
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:00:05 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Mackey wrote:
Is levelling up purely a based on random chance, with the dice changing (increasing) based on the class/race/level of your character? Or is there a "counter" element to it?

There is no counter. Each time you kill a monster (or get hit) you have a chance to make level. This chance is based on your race, class, your level, the level of the monster and the level of the dungeon. Note that thief types can also gain levels by disarming trapped boxes.

Mackey wrote:
> Is this true?: 1 kill = 1 sleep = 1 confuse = 1 dispel = 1 frighten = 1 hold = 1 seduce?

Yes

Mackey wrote:
Or do some actions provide better chances of levelling than others?

No

Mackey wrote:
Does Confusing 10 mobs give me a great chance to level than Confusing 1 mob?

Yes you get 10 chances to level if you confuse 10 mobs.

Mackey wrote:
Seems like I've levelled before when I got hit but didn't actually inflict any damage.

You can level when you are hit by a monster, but it is not as likely as when you kill a monster.

Mackey wrote:
do the characters in the first 2 spots have a better chance at levelling than chars further back?

Only in so far as Melee characters can often kill more things than other types since they do not run out of spells. Also since they get hit more often they get more chances to level that way. That being said, I can usually level my mages and priests pretty effectively using spells alone.

Mackey wrote:
Am I better off wearing less armor (if I'm not in danger of dying) and getting hit more often? Does that increase my chance of levelling?

Well yes I suppose in one way it does increase your chances (but remember the chance to level when you get hit is significantly less that that of killing a monster), but you better have a lot of healing spells on your characters. I have never tried this route but it is an interesting idea. Let us know how it works out.

Mackey wrote:
Does the level of the mob I kill affect the chance of levelling?

Yes, the difference between your level and the monster level is fundamentally important in determining the probability that you will level.

Mackey wrote:
Or the dungeon level that I'm on?

Yes, the deeper you are in the dungeon, the more likely it is that you will level even against the same level monsters.

If you want to level quickly, I have but one word for you 'Kobold'! And stay away from Elves!
Mackey
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:42:34 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
If you want to level quickly, I have but one word for you 'Kobold'! And stay away from Elves!

Tell me where the Kobold pit is and I'm there! ;)
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:54:30 PM

Medals:

You don't fight Kobolds, you become one. Kobolds are the fastest advancing race.
LordLancelot
#5 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 8:24:57 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

If a character in slot 3-10 use item to cast spell (scroll,gem staff...) to kill monsters, do they get a lv up chance also ?
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 10:02:40 AM

Medals:

LordLancelot wrote:
If a character in slot 3-10 use item to cast spell (scroll,gem staff...) to kill monsters, do they get a lv up chance also ?

Yes, a spell cast by an item works the same as one cast by a player. Also note, that if you have a charmed or held monster, then you also get credit for any kills that monster makes (whether by spells or direct attack).
Nolandpg
#7 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 2:25:35 AM

Medals:

I found getting killed by Titans (the whole party) on level 10 or 11 Iis a way to get double levels almost everytime even with elf rangers until mid sixties or so. Dont forget to be unequiped (or you could lose the stuff) and use lots of portals (or else die permanently)