Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
DND monks
Nolandpg
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:11:16 AM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Do Samurai or any other classes have unarmed skills that progress as their level increases (like DND monks)? Whether they do or don't, what are the stats of unarmed weapons?
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:06:10 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
No there is not a special 'unarmed' attack for any classes in this version of Oubliette (we did have that in the PLATO version). However Samurai do have the special ability that lowers their AC as the progress in levels. This is one of the factors that make the Samurai the best melee class by far.
Mackey
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:23:43 AM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
John Gaby wrote:
No there is not a special 'unarmed' attack for any classes in this version of Oubliette (we did have that in the PLATO version). However Samurai do have the special ability that lowers their AC as the progress in levels. This is one of the factors that make the Samurai the best melee class by far.

Is there something about the samurai that makes them particularly vulnerable to being stoned as compared to the other classes? Once again mine got dropped like a sack of hammers, when none of my other characters have ever been hit -- much less killed -- by gorgons and the like.

Also curious about levelling in general. Are there outside factors that affects the level-up probability other than character level, dungeon level and monster level? Does the size of the party have an effect? Average level of the party? Age of the character? Are there items that increase the probability? And last question, is there a bias that improves your level-up chances if you haven't played for awhile? It definitely seems like it. I can meander around D4/D5 for hours trying to get a couple levels on certain characters, and then on the other hand, things like this happen: Last night I begain playing after a day's absence, entered the dungeon and get two levels on a Level 30 Ranger by killing a single group of Dwarfs in D1. I do understand that "random" is subject to all manner of unlikely happenings, but that basic scenario just seems soooo improbable, and it's happened more than once, so it definitely makes me go "hmmmmm".
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:07:29 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Mackey wrote:

Is there something about the samurai that makes them particularly vulnerable to being stoned as compared to the other classes? Once again mine got dropped like a sack of hammers, when none of my other characters have ever been hit -- much less killed -- by gorgons and the like.

No, except for the fact that they generally have pretty high AC (until the get to high levels) since they can only wear cloaks. Note that I NEVER allow my Samurai to go head to head with stoners or drainers. It is just to risky.

Mackey wrote:
Also curious about levelling in general. Are there outside factors that affects the level-up probability other than character level, dungeon level and monster level? Does the size of the party have an effect? Average level of the party? Age of the character? Are there items that increase the probability?

No, the probability of leveling is based solely on the difference in your and the monster's levels and the level of the dungeon.

Mackey wrote:
And last question, is there a bias that improves your level-up chances if you haven't played for awhile? It definitely seems like it. I can meander around D4/D5 for hours trying to get a couple levels on certain characters, and then on the other hand, things like this happen: Last night I begain playing after a day's absence, entered the dungeon and get two levels on a Level 30 Ranger by killing a single group of Dwarfs in D1. I do understand that "random" is subject to all manner of unlikely happenings, but that basic scenario just seems soooo improbable, and it's happened more than once, so it definitely makes me go "hmmmmm".

No, I believe that you are just experiencing what they call 'observer error'. Of course, I am not really sure how good the random number generator is. It sometimes seems to me that you get strings that are not random, but that is probably 'observer error' on my part as well.