Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
It's pretty cool that an original 1970s CRPG game has been ported to modern devices
hitfan
#1 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 4:21:58 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
My first exposure to CRPGs were in the 1980s, most notably Ultima, Pool of Radiance and Telengard. I really liked the latter because it wasn't encumbered with a story line, it was a dungeon crawler for the sake of being a dungeon crawler. My favorite part of CRPGs is the character creation phase.

When I was creating my own retro CRPG in 2009 (Realms of Quest III.video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMBlCaDlD8 website: http://realmsofquest.blogspot.com ) I was researching the net about the history of RPGs and Gamasutra had mentioned Oubliette ( http://www.gamasutra.com...istory_of_computer_.php ) as one of the earliest examples of party-based CRPGs. Needless to say, I tried to find out almost everything about it. That it pre-dated Wizardry was what made it seem extra cool to me.

Kind of like why I prefer looking at D&D manuals that were made pre-1985, I also prefer the old CRPG games. It's not really about nostalgia, I just really like the aesthetics of simpler and eye-pleasing graphics. I think there's beauty in wireframe dungeons and black & white art printed on white paper. I tried playing World of Warcraft, but the excessive graphics-driven game while a technical marvel, is just overwhelming.

So I have the C64, MS-DOS, iPod Touch and Android versions of Oubliette. I'm really looking forward to the iPad version as that has basically become my favorite gaming device.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 6:50:20 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I took a look at the video of your Vic 20 game. I didn't know that people still had Vic 20s much less were writing programs for them.

If you would like to try a beta of the iPad version, send me an email at oubliette@gabysoft.com
Tel Prydain
#3 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 12:02:52 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I was pretty shocked to find out that this game is so old... I thought that it was an 80s game.
There are so many advanced features in the game... the classes, the guilds...