Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
So many questions...
Brilling
#1 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 6:18:02 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I just stumbled across this game at random and picked it up on a whim. Right now I am a couple hours in and really loving it. I have been spending most of my time rolling characters so right now my party consists of 2 Sammies, 1 ranger, and 3 sages (all elves and all very low level).

I didn't really pay much attention to their CON score when I rolled them so I think most of them have low to mid CONs. Is that something that will come back to bite me later? Do I need to keep rolling until I get a sammie with max con?

I am constantly out of money from sleeping at the Inn, so I am now forced to sleep in the streets which takes forever. That is why I rolled a full elven party but I see most others here have non elven parties. How do you handle always being out of money, sleeping in the streets and your party aging? Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I read somewhere that sammies get +1 to their AC every 2 levels, but I am level 7ish or so, and it hasn't gone down in 4 levels or so. Is there a bug or did I read that wrong?

How many portal gems do you find in the game? I am trying to figure out how often to save. I am still wandering level 1 and I am scared to go to level 2 in case my party gets wiped out but I don't know if I should be using portal gems at low levels. What level should my party should be at before I attempt level 2?

Are there any other future updates planned for this game?
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 7:01:34 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Brilling wrote:
I didn't really pay much attention to their CON score when I rolled them so I think most of them have low to mid CONs. Is that something that will come back to bite me later? Do I need to keep rolling until I get a sammie with max con?

Your CON controls the rate at which you gain hits when you level. The higher your CON the more hits your character will get. It also affects the probability that you will make raise.

Brilling wrote:
I am constantly out of money from sleeping at the Inn, so I am now forced to sleep in the streets which takes forever. That is why I rolled a full elven party but I see most others here have non elven parties. How do you handle always being out of money, sleeping in the streets and your party aging? Am I doing something wrong?

If you are using version 2.1, you really should be finding enough gold to not have to sleep in the streets (although at the beginning of the game you will not be able to use the most expensive inn). Since you chose all Elves, you don't have to worry about aging, but remember that Elves will level the slowest of all characters (I am a BIG fan of Kobolds myself)

Brilling wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that sammies get +1 to their AC every 2 levels, but I am level 7ish or so, and it hasn't gone down in 4 levels or so. Is there a bug or did I read that wrong?

The ONLY class that gets and AC bonus as a function of their level is the Samurai (I don't remember the exact formula) which is one of the reasons that high level Samurai are the best melee characters in the game.

Brilling wrote:
How many portal gems do you find in the game? I am trying to figure out how often to save. I am still wandering level 1 and I am scared to go to level 2 in case my party gets wiped out but I don't know if I should be using portal gems at low levels. What level should my party should be at before I attempt level 2?

if you are using version 2.1, you can find a portal gem in every secret room, however whether you find one or not is a function of the level of your party. You cannot use high level characters to hunt for portal gems on level 1. Note that there is an item available in the shop that will locate the secret room on level 1 and you can find items in the secret rooms that will lead you to the rooms on other levels.

As for when to use them, that is difficult to judge. The portal gems are actually a bit of a cheat and the original game did not have them. However we felt that in this day and age that they were necessary. I generally don't use them, however I must admit that sometimes when one of my characters is killed (it really doesn't happen that often) that I will use a portal gem before I attempt to raise so that if it fails I can try again. Note also, that a portal is automatically created each time you visit a new level for the first time (except for level 11). This give you the opportunity to try out a new level, and if it proves too tough, restore you party to the state it was before you ventured down.

Brilling wrote:
Are there any other future updates planned for this game?

We are always interested in new ideas. What would you like to see?
Brilling
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 7:33:13 AM

Medals:

Oh, another question I just remembered. Do all races and classes get stat level ups when they level? For instance, can you create an elf peasant that is 1 STR short of a ranger, level them a couple times and then transform them to a ranger?

If so, how do stat level ups work? It is different for each race and class? If you do start with a low CON on a character, can you level that stat so by the end of the game you have a 35 or something in that stat are you are getting huge vit gains each level?
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 8:22:07 AM

Medals:

Brilling wrote:
Oh, another question I just remembered. Do all races and classes get stat level ups when they level? For instance, can you create an elf peasant that is 1 STR short of a ranger, level them a couple times and then transform them to a ranger?

If so, how do stat level ups work? It is different for each race and class? If you do start with a low CON on a character, can you level that stat so by the end of the game you have a 35 or something in that stat are you are getting huge vit gains each level?

If I remember correctly, each stat has about a 1 in 8 chance of increasing upon making levels. So yes, you can roll a peasant that has almost the stats you need for a specific class and then level him to the point where he can join a guild. However, the probability of dying when joining a guild increases with the level of the character, and, at some point it, becomes impossible to join at all.

Brilling
#5 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 8:27:05 AM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
We are always interested in new ideas. What would you like to see?

An onscreen compass would be awesome! :D
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 12:06:06 PM

Medals:

Brilling wrote:
An onscreen compass would be awesome! :D

You are not the first to ask for that. I suppose I am going to have to break down and implement it (truth be told, I didn't really want to even supply the maps).
Brilling
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:15:55 PM

Medals:

Just a couple more questions I thought of?

How does the Sammy swing to kill work? For example, right now I have short swords equipped because they say they get 2 attacks but it seems like I am only killing 1 enemy at a time. If I have a short sword equipped do I get 2 chances to kill each round or am I better off equipping a weapon with only 1 attack that does more damage?

How do the secret rooms work? I think I have found 3 secret rooms on the first level alone. Is there a set number on each level or do the rooms respawn every time you leave?
John Gaby
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:32:42 PM

Medals:

Brilling wrote:
How does the Sammy swing to kill work? For example, right now I have short swords equipped because they say they get 2 attacks but it seems like I am only killing 1 enemy at a time. If I have a short sword equipped do I get 2 chances to kill each round or am I better off equipping a weapon with only 1 attack that does more damage?

If you choose the 'Swing to Kill' option you only get 1 swing regardless of how many attacks the weapon has. The same is true with the 'Double Blow' option for the Hirebrand.

Brilling wrote:
How do the secret rooms work? I think I have found 3 secret rooms on the first level alone. Is there a set number on each level or do the rooms respawn every time you leave?

There is only one secret room at a time per level. The location is random (except for level 11), but once the location is set, it will remain at that position until it is found even if you leave the level or the game. When you find the room, then it is removed from that level. However, the next time you visit the level a new secret room will be generated and placed at a new random location.

There is no limit to how many secret rooms you can find, however you may only ever have one each of the unique items that can be found in the rooms, and the more unique items that you have collected for a given level, the harder it is to find another.
Brilling
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:00:48 PM

Medals:

Are you guaranteed the unique item each first time you discover the secret room or is there a random loot table?
John Gaby
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:15:14 PM

Medals:

Brilling wrote:
Are you guaranteed the unique item each first time you discover the secret room or is there a random loot table?

Not exactly. Each secret room contains a number of possible unique items that you can find. When you defeat a room, one of the items is randomly selected and IF you do not have that item already, then you get it. Otherwise you get an item selected from the general treasure tables for an encounter 2 levels below the one that you are on. Thus as you get more of the items for a specific room, your probability of finding an item the next time goes down. Note, however, that if you lose a unique item, you get the opportunity to find it again.