Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Typical balanced party?
Neogenex
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:30:38 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Im curious to know what others have for their parties. Currently, I just bought a new phone and had to start all over (I couldnt get the game to work from my SIM card). This time around I decided to roll my own 10 man party. I have 1 Paladin, 1 Samurai, 1 Ranger, 1 Thief, 1 Ninja, 2 Priests, and 3 Mages.

I am still learning and trying to figure out how to properly use each character and what each one is best for. So this is probably a bad set up, but its what I am using. The Ranger i was expecting to be able to use a bow or something, but so far havent found one. My highest lvl is only 6, too, so maybe she haant unlocked the skills yet to be really useful. I use the Paladin as the main spot tank and the Samurai to basically just kill everything whenever he attacks. The Priests and Mages are obvious. I went with a Thief and a Ninja simply because I wanted to see the difference. As of yet, they seem about the same, only the Thief lvls faster. All the characters are Human...again, this was so i could see the differences in the leveling. The hardest part i have found so far is trying to lvl the Priests.

Anyway, let me know what you guys typically run so i can compare. Thanks all.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:24:07 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well my typical party consists of 2 Samurai (high level Samurai are, without doubt, the best melee characters), 3 Priests, 2-3 Mages, and a Thief. Personally I stay away from the Rangers and Paladins because they take too long to level. I also like Kobolds, because they also level fast. Starting a party completely from scratch is actually very challenging. I use the starter party to get each of my new party members started.

You mention a bow. There are no ranged weapons in the game, I am afraid. I have thought about adding them, which would allow characters to attack from beyond the first two positions. Of course if I did that, the monsters would have to get ranged weapons as well!
Neogenex
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:07:32 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Well my typical party consists of 2 Samurai (high level Samurai are, without doubt, the best melee characters), 3 Priests, 2-3 Mages, and a Thief. Personally I stay away from the Rangers and Paladins because they take too long to level. I also like Kobolds, because they also level fast. Starting a party completely from scratch is actually very challenging. I use the starter party to get each of my new party members started.

You mention a bow. There are no ranged weapons in the game, I am afraid. I have thought about adding them, which would allow characters to attack from beyond the first two positions. Of course if I did that, the monsters would have to get ranged weapons as well!

True about the bows. It just surprised me because whenever I think of a Ranger thats what I expect lol. What use do they really have? Samurai and Paladins are better frontliners I think and they both get heal spells too ( im guessing Rangers get them later). So why bother trying to roll a Ranger (much harder for me than a Samurai or Paladin.
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:57:14 PM

Medals:

Well Rangers get both Magic and Priest spells and can make OK fighters. A high level party of just Samurai and Rangers would be pretty nice, but considering the difficulty of rolling Rangers and their slow rate of advancement, I think they are overrated.
Neogenex
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:18:48 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
Well Rangers get both Magic and Priest spells and can make OK fighters. A high level party of just Samurai and Rangers would be pretty nice, but considering the difficulty of rolling Rangers and their slow rate of advancement, I think they are overrated.

I find Paladins and Samurais to be the most useful. Samurais only get cloth from what I have saw so far, but I like them. I really want an Ogre Paladin. There is one on the wall of fame, no idea how the player managed to roll him. I spent nearly 8 hrs the other day at work trying and never got anything except Hirebrands, Peasant, and the occasional Mage and Priest. Im going to keep trying, but I think it is a futile effort lol.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:06:58 AM

Medals:

Neogenex wrote:

I find Paladins and Samurais to be the most useful. Samurais only get cloth from what I have saw so far, but I like them.

Yes Samurai are the only 'must have' characters. You want both your fighting slots occupied by Samurai.

Neogenex wrote:
I really want an Ogre Paladin. There is one on the wall of fame, no idea how the player managed to roll him. I spent nearly 8 hrs the other day at work trying and never got anything except Hirebrands, Peasant, and the occasional Mage and Priest. Im going to keep trying, but I think it is a futile effort lol.

I would have to check, but it might not be possible to roll one directly. They may have chosen a peasant and leveled him until he made the stats. I have done that to get a Kobold Samurai.
Neogenex
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:28:02 PM

Medals:

Neogenex wrote:
I really want an Ogre Paladin. There is one on the wall of fame, no idea how the player managed to roll him. I spent nearly 8 hrs the other day at work trying and never got anything except Hirebrands, Peasant, and the occasional Mage and Priest. Im going to keep trying, but I think it is a futile effort lol.

I would have to check, but it might not be possible to roll one directly. They may have chosen a peasant and leveled him until he made the stats. I have done that to get a Kobold Samurai.[/quote]

Thats what I did and I got my Pally. I noticed they (Paladin) lvls slower than even my Ranger. Not sure why. My Human Pally and Ranger started same time and both have always been in front row together, but the Ranger out leveled him fast. I gave up on him and just rolled an Ogre Pally lol.
John Gaby
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:25:34 PM

Medals:

Neogenex wrote:
I noticed they (Paladin) lvls slower than even my Ranger. Not sure why.

Hmm, the Ranger should be the slowest. Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw (due to the way leveling works).
lama8805
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:57:15 PM

Medals:

Maybe I have patience or nothing better to do with my time but I have no problem getting Rangers to high levels. I rolled a halfling ranger (did not have to build stats, just rolled it) yesterday and I have it up to level 30 already.. I usually have a party of 2 Samurai and 3 Rangers then whatever new char I am building. I have a 70 level Sage that I sometimes include for mage and priest spells to run deep quickly.
John Gaby
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:56:51 PM

Medals:

lama8805 wrote:
Maybe I have patience or nothing better to do with my time but I have no problem getting Rangers to high levels. I rolled a halfling ranger (did not have to build stats, just rolled it) yesterday and I have it up to level 30 already.. I usually have a party of 2 Samurai and 3 Rangers then whatever new char I am building. I have a 70 level Sage that I sometimes include for mage and priest spells to run deep quickly.

It would not surprise me if some of you players are much better at this game than I am. This was true even with the original. I never was as good as the best players in the game. Except for testing, I am not sure that in the original that I ever had a character over level 15 or so or went deeper than level 5 or 6 (of course the original was a MUCH harder game).
bigadv
#11 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 7:57:16 AM

Medals:

I am currently running the following: Male & female Ogre Hirebrands levels 36 & 39, male Ogre mage level 14, Human & Elf Sages levels 21 & 3, Gnoll & Dwarf priests levels 17&7 and an Orc Thief level 18. I have lost roughly 20 characters since I started playing a few months ago. I tried level 6 just a few minutes ago and almost lost most of my mages. I rely on them heavily beyond level 3 di to the creatures there. The game is hard to put down seeing as I have played over 100 hours and the achievements my characters have made.
John Gaby
#12 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 11:19:07 AM

Medals:

bigadv wrote:
I am currently running the following: Male & female Ogre Hirebrands levels 36 & 39, male Ogre mage level 14, Human & Elf Sages levels 21 & 3, Gnoll & Dwarf priests levels 17&7 and an Orc Thief level 18. I have lost roughly 20 characters since I started playing a few months ago. I tried level 6 just a few minutes ago and almost lost most of my mages. I rely on them heavily beyond level 3 di to the creatures there. The game is hard to put down seeing as I have played over 100 hours and the achievements my characters have made.

The game can be challenging. My one piece of advice is to train yourself some Samurai to replace your Hirebrands. High level Samurai are, without a doubt, the best melee characters in the game.
AphoticEmpyrean
#13 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 5:57:54 PM

Medals:

Thanks for all the helpful hints...
John Gaby
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:16:35 AM

Medals:

AphoticEmpyrean wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful hints...

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information about the game here.
Dweeb
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:19:31 PM

Medals:

I never found much use for anything other than samurais, rangers, and mages....other than a priest when first starting out. My typical party is 3-4 samurais, 3-4 rangers, and 3 mages.

Actually, the top 10 in the hall of fame is a typical party for me.