Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Feature Request: Spice by recolor, a sightly better shop, and erm......
CremePudding
#1 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 12:33:30 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Yep, I understand that Oubliette is actually a really old game back from PLATO and this iOS port is already softened a bit compared to the old versions. Which is to say, I would have never discovered this little gem without your great port, Mr. Gaby. (Sorry if I sound dispolite, I am not native speaker)

=========
Spice it up with recolors!

I think there can be a little bit more you can do to the visual without working too much; have you ever thought about recolored monsters for different levels?

Or recolored rooms.

I understand that currently monster appearances are based on their species and there's only one kind of dungeon look for now, but I was hoping at least some color difference with the walls will give players a sense of advancement as the dungeon begin to look stranger and stranger.

=========
Shop Expansion?

And the gold shop. It is too useless for now. Maybe we can buy some very weak magical items later on if we go deeper than a certain level or something?

=========
Notify about dungeon level purchase?

By the way, perhaps it'd be better if you let people know that they have to pay for dungeon level 2 and beyond? It might be too bad a disappointment if they get past all the first-level pain and found that you have to pay for level 2; added in how hardcore this game is and most casual player that are willing to try will probably just storm off. At least a couple of my friends did.

Thanks for bothering to read this.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 6:08:01 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the feedback.

CremePudding wrote:

Spice it up with recolors!

I think there can be a little bit more you can do to the visual without working too much; have you ever thought about recolored monsters for different levels?

Or recolored rooms.

I understand that currently monster appearances are based on their species and there's only one kind of dungeon look for now, but I was hoping at least some color difference with the walls will give players a sense of advancement as the dungeon begin to look stranger and stranger.

We would have liked to create separate graphics for all of the monsters, but we realized that this game would be a niche game only, and hence would not generate a lot of money. We actually have some different dungeon walls, and originally planned on having the levels change, but decided that it was not worth the increased app size. Perhaps based on your response, that needs to be reconsidered.

CremePudding wrote:

Shop Expansion?

And the gold shop. It is too useless for now. Maybe we can buy some very weak magical items later on if we go deeper than a certain level or something?

Others have commented on this before. Personally, I would like to have the gold useful later in the game (you eventually get a lot of gold and nothing to spend it on), so making magic items available in the shop might be the way to go.

CremePudding wrote:

Notify about dungeon level purchase?

By the way, perhaps it'd be better if you let people know that they have to pay for dungeon level 2 and beyond? It might be too bad a disappointment if they get past all the first-level pain and found that you have to pay for level 2; added in how hardcore this game is and most casual player that are willing to try will probably just storm off. At least a couple of my friends did.

Perhaps we need to be clearer in the description of the app.
Gio
#3 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 11:01:38 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Different dungeon colors would be a nice perk, definitely, as would random magic items popping up every so often in the store.

That said, I'd also consider that the Paladin and Ninja classes could possibly be tweaked a little:

Paladins could benefit from their healing touch being able to remove conditions like Paralyze, and possibly being able to use the ability more than once based on Leadership and level.

Ninjas would be nice if they could use Mage spells.. as it stands there doesn't seem to be a need for them since they don't seem to have any particular thing that makes them different.. having a thief and a samurai covers everything and then some. I still use ninjas, but I'm strange. :P
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:38:13 AM

Medals:

Gio wrote:

Paladins could benefit from their healing touch being able to remove conditions like Paralyze, and possibly being able to use the ability more than once based on Leadership and level.

This is not a bad idea.

Gio wrote:
Ninjas would be nice if they could use Mage spells.. as it stands there doesn't seem to be a need for them since they don't seem to have any particular thing that makes them different.. having a thief and a samurai covers everything and then some. I still use ninjas, but I'm strange. :P

There are a lot of classes which already have magic spells, I am not sure about adding another. Let me think about it. Is there any other Ninja perk that you can think of instead?
Yumadome
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:13:21 PM

Medals:

Groups:

This is a real blast from the past for me :)
I'm still fairly new to the Droid and apps and such... I have to say, it amazes me that people complain about having to pay $2-3 for games, especially when so often, as with Oubliette, you can try portions of them for free!
marlin
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:11:36 PM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

I think just changin the text color of the monsters name to indicate its relative strength to your party would be a great addition.

If your average party lvl is 5 and the max player lvl is 8, and you come across a lvl 14 monster big flashing red text saying 'Silent Eagles' would tell you to run like hell. (sorry for the avatar reference) but if you came across lvl 1 dorfs and your party was averge lvl 18, then the name 'dorf' would be in blue or green.

Also, you probably don't need to load an entire new wall graphic, you could just modify the coloring or the texturing to make things look more sinister. The deeper you go the more reds, deep purples and blacks used in the wall colorings to make it look more like the stereotypical judeo-christian visions of hell.

(sorry about typos, i am typing with hand and arm in a cast)
John Gaby
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:49:25 PM

Medals:

marlin wrote:
I think just changin the text color of the monsters name to indicate its relative strength to your party would be a great addition.

If your average party lvl is 5 and the max player lvl is 8, and you come across a lvl 14 monster big flashing red text saying 'Silent Eagles' would tell you to run like hell. (sorry for the avatar reference) but if you came across lvl 1 dorfs and your party was averge lvl 18, then the name 'dorf' would be in blue or green.

Of course, the trouble with that is there is NO flee option!

marlin wrote:
Also, you probably don't need to load an entire new wall graphic, you could just modify the coloring or the texturing to make things look more sinister. The deeper you go the more reds, deep purples and blacks used in the wall colorings to make it look more like the stereotypical judeo-christian visions of hell.

What really needs to be done is to use a 3D engine to plot the dungeon, which would reduce the size of the graphics required greatly. That may happen at some point, but it seems to me that game play is far more important than the eye candy.