Tag as favorite
Request for better equipment management UI
Andrew
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:57:10 PM

Medals:

Groups: Tester, Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi John,

Love the game, I've been playing it off and on since last fall.

I'd like to see some way to manage equipment easier.
- The only way to see details on an item is to open the 'transfer' menu
- It's hard to find an item sometimes that got stashed on a character, especially if I haven't been playing for a period of time

Could you make some sort of group equipment page, where we can see a full list of unequipped items. You could make a 'backpack' that contains items accessible to the group, and a storage area in the tavern or elsewhere outside of the dungeon where you could move items from backpack <-> storage.

I think it would make life easier for players who don't play as often. You could make a restriction where items in the backpack cannot be used in combat by players. Items would have to be in their personal inventory. If you are worried about balancing you could always limit the size of player inventory and/or the backpack. That would discourage hoarding tons of items, and limit how much loot characters can carry out of the dungeon if you decide to make equipment sellable.

Thanks,
Andrew

btw, have any estimate on when the next update will be?
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:16:25 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is not a bad idea, actually. Originally, each player had his own stash of gold, and that turned out to be a real pain in the butt, so we changed it so that there was one pool of gold shared by all the players. Perhaps we could do the same for the items. Keeping you from using items from the shared pool in combat would not be an issue since currently you can only use equipped items in combat anyway.

I don't have an estimate as to when a new version will be released, but we are looking for some beta testers for it, so if you are interested, send me an email at oubliette@gabysoft.com
John Gaby
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:35:42 AM

Medals:

I have given some more thought about pooling all the equipment items into one pack, to which all the players would have access. When you are in the castle, I don't have a problem with accessing any item in the pack, but I am not crazy about the idea of being able to take down all the items from all your characters every time you go down into the dungeon. Currently you are limited by the pack space that the players in your party have, and I would like to maintain that restriction somehow.

I was thinking that we would eliminate the whole transfer item interface. In the castle, every character would have access to all the stored items. There would also be a screen which would let you check off which items you wished to take with you into the dungeon. The number of items you could check would be limited to the 16 times the number in your party (currently the limit of your pack space). In the dungeon all the players in your party would have access to only the items that you checked off. Note that in combat each player would only be able to use equipped items (as it now works).

What do you think? Would this be an improvement to the current system.
andrew
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:43:28 PM

Medals:

I think the main idea is having some way to access a list of all your items, so you don't have to go to each party member, or worse.. go to the tavern, swap members, exit, then look.

The biggest problem I see here is that the list of items could be huge, unless you could add some filters.

There are alot of questions making a Pack UI would bring up...
Will it list currently equipped items? Could you take an equipped item from another character and equip it on the current one? Without this option, you would have no way to unequip an item if you remvoed the 'transfer item' UI.
Could you use items from the pack UI? Ex: Drink a healing potion, or use cartographer scroll.
Could you drop/delete an item?

John Gaby
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:40:59 PM

Medals:

andrew wrote:

The biggest problem I see here is that the list of items could be huge, unless you could add some filters.

If it was sorted it probably wouldn't be too bad would it. You can fling through lists pretty fast on these devices. It would be difficult to add filters because of the space limitations. Perhaps in the tablet version it would be possible.

andrew wrote:

Will it list currently equipped items?

No, there would still be an 'Equip a player' function and you would be able to choose to equip any item in the master pack if you were in the castle, or any item that had been 'marked' if you were in the dungeon.

andrew wrote:

Could you take an equipped item from another character and equip it on the current one? Without this option, you would have no way to unequip an item if you remvoed the 'transfer item' UI.

Well you could always equip something else which would move the equipped item back into the master pack. We could probably come up with a way to un-equip an item if that was necessary.

andrew wrote:

Could you use items from the pack UI? Ex: Drink a healing potion, or use cartographer scroll.

If you were not in combat, any player would be able to use any of the 'marked' items. Non-marked items would not be available. In combat, you would only be able to use equipped items, which is the way it works now.

andrew wrote:

Could you drop/delete an item?

Yes, there would be some mechanism to drop (and inspect) items from the master pack.
marlin
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:40:22 PM

Medals:

one way to reduce the list size would be to add the number of items in the collective loot bag after the item name.

ie. Instead of listing 21 potions of light healing individually just show

Potion of light Healing (21).

John Gaby
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:53:00 PM

Medals:

That might be possible.