Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
wish list
watf1090
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:12:36 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Oubliette 2 - could function (almost) exactly as oubliette does, just different maps

Secret doors (then again, i might need to bang on a few walls in oub - who knows?!?)

Unpassable walls, i.e. - miner's gem has no effect. Not all walls, but some

Squares (or entire rooms!) of solid rock - cannot teleport into. Your call whether a teleport attempt just fails or kills party - oooh, mebbe all in party except hirebrands/rangers above a certain level. But they should suffer (and perhaps die) breaking out of the rock

Thx!
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 7:49:03 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Actually, the original version of Oubliette (circa 1977) had secret doors. It also required you to carry torches, and if they all ran out, you had to stumble around in complete darkness (although there was a magic spell to produce light). Also when you died, you had one chance to make raise. If it failed, you were permanently dead and there were no portal gems, so you simply had to start over.

In general, the game was a good deal harder than this one. I don't believe that I EVER had a character over level 12 or so. Of course we were always taking crazy chances and getting our whole party wiped out, but that is what made it fun for us.

As I said before, if I were to create a version 2, it would go back to the multiplayer roots. Unfortunately, I don't think I could interest enough players to make a multiplayer game viable, even if I were to offer it for free.
watf1090
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:24:25 PM

Medals:

I played the PLATO version for a while too, circa 1981. I _do_ remember dying a lot. I was always partial to mages, never able to roll a char I was really happy with, and I don't ever think I made it up to level 8. That was so much fun!!

Unfortunately, I agree that a multiplayer version might m not get much traction nowadays. That said, the current version is still good, pretty much almost as addictive as the orig.

My wishes still stand
Snafaru
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 11:59:49 PM

Medals:

Watf1090, did you know you can still play the PLATO version today?
watf1090
#5 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 7:01:13 PM

Medals:

Yea I know, but I don't have access to a computer for a while - at least, not one I can use in my free time. And I'm not even gonna try a terminal emulator on a phone. I'm not that patient